Determinants of domestic and import prices in Canadian manufacturing industries
AbstractThis paper examines the determinants of the prices of domestic and imported goods in the domestic market using time-series data for a broad sample of Canadian manufacturing industries. It is found that the costs of both goods are the fundamental determinants of their prices, that the pass-through of costs into prices depends on the levels of domestic and import costs, real income per capita and concentration, and that factors which increase the sensitivity of both prices to domestic costs also reduce their sensitivity to import costs. In addition, it appears that the way in which prices are determined differs between industries with low versus high advertising-sales ratios.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Note: received: July 1996/final version received July 1997
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baldwin, John R. & Yan, Beiling, 2006. "Influences interieures et etrangeres sur les prix canadiens selon les mouvements cycliques du taux de change, 1974 a 1996," Serie de documents de recherche sur l'analyse economique (AE) 2006043f, Statistics Canada, Direction des etudes analytiques.
- Baldwin, John R. & Yan, Beiling, 2006. "Les mouvements cycliques du taux de change et les prix dans les secteurs canadien et americain de la fabrication," Serie de documents de recherche sur l'analyse economique (AE) 2006041f, Statistics Canada, Direction des etudes analytiques.
- Baldwin, John R. & Yan, Beiling, 2006. "Domestic and Foreign Influences on Canadian Prices over Exchange Rate Cycles, 1974 to 1996," Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series 2006043e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Baldwin, John R. & Yan, Beiling, 2006.
"Exchange Rate Cycles and Canada- U.S. Manufacturing Prices,"
Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series
2006041e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- John R. Baldwin & Beiling Yan, 2007. "Exchange Rate Cycles and Canada/US Manufacturing Prices," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 143(3), pages 508-533, October.
- Baldwin, John R. & Yan, Beiling, 2008. "Domestic and foreign influences on Canadian prices," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 546-557, October.
- Egon Žižmond, 2006. "Impact of Price-Deregulation on Market Outcomes - The Case of Chimney Sweep Services in Slovenia," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2006(4), pages 350-363.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.