Elasticity Estimates of Farmed Salmon Demand in Spain and Italy
AbstractIn this paper estimates of the elasticities that characterize the structure of demand for farmed salmon in Spain and Italy are reported. The demand models are specified using a Box-Cox transformation of the variables and a Hausman test is used to determine price endogeneity in the demand equations. The results show a short-run unitary own-price elasticity of demand for farmed salmon in both markets, but long-run estimates show significant elastic price response. Short-run substitution of salmon for other fish species is not observed and, for both Spain and Italy, farmed salmon is characterized as a luxury good. Interestingly, we show that our a priori expectations about own-price elasticities being lower in smaller market areas is confirmed. Finally, the results obtained are compared to other recent results reported in the salmon demand literature.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 19 (1994)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lutter, Randall & Tucker, Katherine, 2003. "Unacknowledged Health Benefits Of Genetically Modified Food - Salmon And Heart Disease Deaths," Working paper 355, Regulation2point0.
- Fofana, Abdulai & Clayton, Patty, 2003. "Demand Interaction Between Farmed Salmon And Wild Caught Fish In The United Kingdom," Miscellaneous Papers 11828, Agecon Search.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.