The Bias of Some Estimators for Panel Data Models with Measurement Errors
AbstractThis paper deals with the (asymptotic) bias in the estimation of regression slope coefficients from panel data observed with error. Unobserved individual and time specific heterogeneity is also assumed. The estimators considered include: the standard "within" and "between" estimators, and estimators based on differences over time. It is shown that in terms of bias, there may be a trade-off between the effect of heterogeneity and of measurement errors. This paper also shows that in situations where the number of observations of each individual is finite (and in practice often small), changes in the correlograms of the measurement error and of the latent exogenous variable may substantially affect the relative bias of the different estimators of the slope coefficient.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (1992)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Erik Biørn, 2002. "Handling the measurement error problem by means of panel data: Moment methods applied on firm data," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 B6-1, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Jacopo Cimadomo, 2012.
"Fiscal Policy in Real Time,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 114(2), pages 440-465, 06.
- Biørn, Erik, 2012. "The Measurement Error Problem in Dynamic Panel Data Analysis: Modeling and GMM Estimation," Memorandum 02/2012, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Eva Ventura & Albert Satorra, 1998. "Lyfe-cycle effects on household expenditures: A latent-variable approach," Economics Working Papers 354, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.