Start-ups and relocations: Manufacturing plant location in Portugal
AbstractThis article analyses the spatial pattern of plant start-ups and plant relocations in Portugal between 1986 and 1997. The results show that start-ups and relocations are not attracted by the same set of location characteristics. The probability of a plant start-up is more strongly related to increases in local market size and labour force qualification, lower labour costs, and a more diversified economic environment. In contrast, relocations show a greater preference for areas with better national market accessibility, availability of producer services and a larger industrial basis. Relocations are also much more strongly attracted by the provision of inter-regional motorways. The results are consistent with the assertion that firms value location attributes differently over the plant life cycle. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Papers in Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 83 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10101/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Adelheid Holl, 2004. "Start-ups and relocations: Manufacturing plant location in Portugal," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 83(4), pages 649-668, October.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Liviano, Daniel, 2007. "Agglomeration and location: a nonparametric approach," Working Papers 2072/4288, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Manuel Artís & Raul Ramos & Jordi Suriñach, 2006.
"Job losses, outsourcing and relocation: Empirical evidence using microdata,"
CREAP2006-05, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Oct 2006.
- Artís, Manuel & Ramos, Raul & Surinach, Jordi, 2007. "Job Losses, Outsourcing and Relocation: Empirical Evidence Using Microdata," IZA Discussion Papers 2978, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Manuel Artis & Raul Ramos & Jordi Suriñach, 2006. "Job losses, outsourcing and relocation, empirical evidence using microdata," IREA Working Papers 200601, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Dec 2006.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria, 2011.
"Location Determinants of New Firms: Does Skill Level of Human Capital Really Matter?,"
2072/152136, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2013. "Location Determinants of New Firms: Does Skill Level of Human Capital Really Matter?," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 44(1), pages 118-148, 03.
- Condeço-Melhorado, Ana & Gutiérrez, Javier & García-Palomares, Juan Carlos, 2011. "Spatial impacts of road pricing: Accessibility, regional spillovers and territorial cohesion," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 185-203, March.
- Joris Knoben, 2006. "A Relational Account of the Causes of Spatial Firm Mobility," ERSA conference papers ersa06p1, European Regional Science Association.
- Kristin Kronenberg, 2011. "Business relocations in the Netherlands: Why do firms move, and where do they go?," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1450, European Regional Science Association.
- Strauss, Jack, 2013. "The Economic Gains to Colorado of Amendment 66," MPRA Paper 49928, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jesús F. Lampón & Pablo Cabanelas-Lorenzo & Santiago Lago-Peñas, 2013. "Why firms relocate their production overseas? The answer lies inside: corporate, logistic and technological determinants," Working Papers 2013/3, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Angel Alañón & Josep Maria Arauzo Carod, . "Accessibility and Industrial Location. Some Evidence from Spain," Studies on the Spanish Economy 214, FEDEA.
- Wouter Vermeulen, 2006. "Regional disparities in a small country? An analysis of regional unemployment and participation differentials in the Netherlands from 1975 to 2003," CPB Document 113, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Stephen Gibbons & Teemu Lyytikäinen & Henry Overman & Rosa Sanchis-Guarner, 2012. "New Road Infrastructure: the Effects on Firms," SERC Discussion Papers 0117, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Liviano Solís, Daniel & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2008.
"Empirical studies in industrial location: an assessment of their methods and results,"
2072/9257, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod & Daniel Liviano-Solis & Miguel Manjón-Antolín, 2010. "Empirical Studies In Industrial Location: An Assessment Of Their Methods And Results," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 685-711.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2007.
"Locations and Relocations:Modelling, Determinants, and Interrelations,"
2072/5316, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Miguel C. Manjon-Antolin & Josep Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2006. "Locations and Relocations: Modelling, Determinants, and Interrelations," ERSA conference papers ersa06p33, European Regional Science Association.
- Wouter Vermeulen, 2005. "Regional disparities in a small country? An assessment of the regional dimension to the Dutch labour market on the basis of regional unemployment and participation differentials," ERSA conference papers ersa05p207, European Regional Science Association.
- Kronenberg, Kristin, 2011. "Firm relocations in the Netherlands: Why do firms move, and where do they go?," MPRA Paper 32147, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria, 2007. "Industrial location at a local level: some comments about the territorial level of the analysis," Working Papers 2072/4178, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Jaap Vleugel, 2005. "Clusters and spatial planning - Towards a research program," ERSA conference papers ersa05p429, European Regional Science Association.
- Michiel De Bok & Michiel Bliemer, 2005. "Using firm demographic microsimulation to evaluate land use and transport scenario evaluation - model calibration," ERSA conference papers ersa05p664, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.