Asymptotic expansions for the ability estimator in item response theory
AbstractAsymptotic approximations to the distributions of the ability estimator and its transformations in item response theory are derived beyond the usual normal one when associated item parameters are given as in tailored testing. For the approximations, the asymptotic cumulants of the estimators up to the fourth order with the higher-order asymptotic variances are obtained under possible model misspecification. For testing and interval estimation of abilities, the asymptotic cumulants of the pivots studentized in four ways are derived. Numerical examples with simulations including those for confidence intervals for abilities are given using the three-parameter logistic model. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Computational Statistics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=120306
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ogasawara, Haruhiko, 2010. "Asymptotic expansions for the pivots using log-likelihood derivatives with an application in item response theory," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(9), pages 2149-2167, October.
- Taniguchi, M. & Watanabe, Y., 1994. "Statistical Analysis of Curved Probability Densities," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 228-248, February.
- Frederic Lord, 1983. "Unbiased estimators of ability parameters, of their variance, and of their parallel-forms reliability," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 233-245, June.
- Haruhiko Ogasawara, 2009. "Asymptotic cumulants of the parameter estimators in item response theory," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 313-331, May.
- R. Bock & Murray Aitkin, 1981. "Marginal maximum likelihood estimation of item parameters: Application of an EM algorithm," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 46(4), pages 443-459, December.
- Karl Klauer, 1991. "Exact and best confidence intervals for the ability parameter of the Rasch model," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 56(3), pages 535-547, September.
- Ogasawara, Haruhiko, 2013. "Asymptotic cumulants of ability estimators using fallible item parameters," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 119(C), pages 144-162.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.