Lazy lasso for local regression
AbstractLocally weighted regression is a technique that predicts the response for new data items from their neighbors in the training data set, where closer data items are assigned higher weights in the prediction. However, the original method may suffer from overfitting and fail to select the relevant variables. In this paper we propose combining a regularization approach with locally weighted regression to achieve sparse models. Specifically, the lasso is a shrinkage and selection method for linear regression. We present an algorithm that embeds lasso in an iterative procedure that alternatively computes weights and performs lasso-wise regression. The algorithm is tested on three synthetic scenarios and two real data sets. Results show that the proposed method outperforms linear and local models for several kinds of scenarios. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Computational Statistics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=120306
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scott Foster & Arūnas Verbyla & Wayne Pitchford, 2008. "A random model approach for the LASSO," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 217-233, April.
- David C Wheeler, 2009. "Simultaneous coefficient penalization and model selection in geographically weighted regression: the geographically weighted lasso," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 41(3), pages 722-742, March.
- F. Ferraty & P. Hall & P. Vieu, 2010. "Most-predictive design points for functional data predictors," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 97(4), pages 807-824.
- Khan, Jafar A. & Van Aelst, Stefan & Zamar, Ruben H., 2007. "Robust Linear Model Selection Based on Least Angle Regression," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 1289-1299, December.
- Wang, Hansheng & Xia, Yingcun, 2009. "Shrinkage Estimation of the Varying Coefficient Model," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(486), pages 747-757.
- Zou, Hui, 2006. "The Adaptive Lasso and Its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1418-1429, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.