An Empirical Analysis of Income Inequality between a Minority and the Majority in Urban China: The Case of Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region
AbstractBased on 2006 urban survey data of the Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region, this paper studies the impact of ethnic characteristics on the region’s income determination mechanism. Using the decomposition methods of Blinder and Oaxaca, Fields, and Morduch and Sicular, we analyze income gaps between employed Hui and Han as well as income inequality within the two groups. The main conclusions are that there is almost no income gap between Han and Hui in Ningxia, but different ethnic characteristics affect the income determination mechanism. Ethnic factors such as religion and social capital have no obvious effect on the income determination. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Review of Black Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 40 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Other versions of this item:
- Li Shi & Ding Sai, 2009. "An Empirical Analysis of Income Inequality between a Minority and the Majority in Urban China: The Case of Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd08-022, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- D33 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Factor Income Distribution
- J15 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Minorities, Races, Indigenous Peoples, and Immigrants; Non-labor Discrimination
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William A. Darity Jr. & Samuel L. Myers Jr. & Chanjin Chung, 1998. "Racial Earnings Disparities and Family Structure," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(1), pages 20-41, July.
- Gustafsson, Bjorn & Shi, Li, 2003. "The Ethnic Minority-Majority Income Gap in Rural China during Transition," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 805-22, July.
- Margaret Maurer-Fazio & James W. Hughes & Dandan Zhang, 2010.
"A comparison and decomposition of reform-era labor force participation rates of China's ethnic minorities and Han majority,"
International Journal of Manpower,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(2), pages 138-162, May.
- Maurer-Fazio, Margaret & Hughes, James W. & Zhang, Dandan, 2009. "A Comparison and Decomposition of Reform-Era Labor Force Participation Rates of China's Ethnic Minorities and Han Majority," IZA Discussion Papers 4148, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.