Entrepreneurial attitude and economic growth: A cross-section of 54 regions
AbstractIn the literature factors like entrepreneurial ability, regional innovative potential, and entrepreneurial human capital are emphasized in explaining the economic success of regions. Using the European Values Studies (EVS) dataset on norms and values in 54 European regions, we distinguish values that characterise self-employed, which enables us to construct a regional aggregate that reflects the average score on entrepreneurial attitude. We show that regions differ in entrepreneurial attitude, and that a high score on entrepreneurial characteristics is correlated with a high rate of regional economic growth. In this way we empirically establish the link between culture and economy at the regional level. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Annals of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 38 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd & Noorderhaven, Niels, 2002. "Entrepreneurial attitude and economic growth; a cross-section of 54 regions," ERSA conference papers ersa02p142, European Regional Science Association.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ingrid Verheul & Sander Wennekers & David Audretsch & Roy Thurik, 2001.
"An Eclectic Theory of Entrepreneurship: Policies, Institutions and Culture,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
01-030/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Roy Thurik & Sander Wennekers & Ingrid Verheul & David Audretsch, 2001. "An eclectic theory of entrepreneurship: policies, institutions and culture," Scales Research Reports H200012, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Hospers, Gert-Jan & Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd, 2002. "Regional Cluster Policies: Learning by Comparing?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 381-402.
- Aki Kangasharju, 2000. "Regional variations in firm formation: Panel and cross-section data evidence from Finland," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 79(4), pages 355-373.
- Quah, Danny T., 1996. "Regional convergence clusters across Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 951-958, April.
- Begg, Iain, 1995. "Factor Mobility and Regional Disparities in the European Union," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 96-112, Summer.
- Quah, Danny, 1996. "Regional Convergence Clusters Across Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1286, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Howard J. Wall & Yannis Georgellis, 2000.
"What makes a region entrepreneurial? Evidence from Britain,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 385-403.
- Howard J. Wall & Yannis Georgellis, 1999. "What makes a region entrepreneurial? evidence from Britain," Working Papers 1999-009, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Anisya S Thomas & Stephen L Mueller, 2000. "A Case for Comparative Entrepreneurship: Assessing the Relevance of Culture," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(2), pages 287-301, June.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew & Stutzer, Alois, 2001. "Latent entrepreneurship across nations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 680-691, May.
- Costas Megir & Danny Quah, 1996. "Regional Convergence Clusters Across Europe," CEP Discussion Papers dp0274, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- R. Paci & S. Usai, 1997.
"Technological enclaves and industrial districts. An analysis of the regional distributions of innovative activity in Europe,"
Working Paper CRENoS
199708, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 2000. "Technological Enclaves and Industrial Districts: An Analysis of the Regional Distribution of Innovative Activity in Europe," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 97-114.
- Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 1998. "Technological enclaves and industrial districts: An analysis of the regional distribution of innovative activity in Europe," ERSA conference papers ersa98p461, European Regional Science Association.
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 1998. "original: Spatial perspectives on new theories of economic growth," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 7-37.
- Xavier X. Sala-i-Martin, 1997.
"I Just Ran Four Million Regressions,"
NBER Working Papers
6252, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cooke, Philip & Gomez Uranga, Mikel & Etxebarria, Goio, 1997. "Regional innovation systems: Institutional and organisational dimensions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 475-491, December.
- Brandstatter, Hermann, 1997. "Becoming an entrepreneur -- A question of personality structure?," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 157-177, April.
- Fagenson, Ellen A., 1993. "Personal value systems of men and women entrepreneurs versus managers," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 409-430, September.
- Leamer, Edward E, 1985. "Sensitivity Analyses Would Help," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 308-13, June.
- Wennekers, Sander & Thurik, Roy, 1999. " Linking Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 27-55, August.
- Petrakos, George & Dimitris, Kallioras & Ageliki, Anagnostou, 2007. "A Generalized Model of Regional Economic Growth in the European Union," Papers DYNREG12, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Michael Fritsch & Michael Wyrwich, 2012.
"The Long Persistence of Regional Entrepreneurship Culture: Germany 1925–2005,"
Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG)
1214, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Jul 2012.
- Michael Fritsch & Michael Wyrwich, 2012. "The Long Persistence of Regional Entrepreneurship Culture: Germany 1925-2005," Jena Economic Research Papers 2012-036, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Michael Fritsch & Michael Wyrwich, 2012. "The Long Persistence of Regional Entrepreneurship Culture: Germany 1925 - 2005," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1224, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Niels Bosma & Kashifa Suddle & Veronique Schutjens, 2008. "Whither a flat ladscape? Regional differences in Entrepreneurship in the Netherlands," Scales Research Reports H200805, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Nyström, Kristina, 2008. "Regional Institutional Environment and Swedish Regional New Firm Formation," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 142, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Michael Fritsch & Michael Wyrwich, 2014.
"The Effect of Regional Entrepreneurship Culture on Economic Development - Evidence for Germany,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2014-014, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Michael Fritsch & Michael Wyrwich, 2014. "The Effect of Regional Entrepreneurship Culture on Economic Development - Evidence for Germany," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1411, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Apr 2014.
- Li, Hongbin & Yang, Zheyu & Yao, Xianguo & Zhang, Haifeng & Zhang, Junsen, 2012. "Entrepreneurship, private economy and growth: Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 948-961.
- Kristina Nyström, 2013. "Entrepreneurial politicians," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 41-54, June.
- Thomas A. Garrett & Howard J. Wall, 2006.
"Creating a Policy Environment for Entrepreneurs,"
Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 26(3), pages 525-552, Fall.
- Artelaris, Panagiotis & Arvanitidis, Paschalis & Petrakos, George, 2006. "Theoretical and Methodological Study on Dynamic Growth Regions and Factors Explaining their Growth Performance," Papers DYNREG02, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Hongbin Li & Zheyu Yang & Xianguo Yao & Junsen Zhang, 2009. "Entrepreneurship and Growth: Evidence from China," Discussion Papers 00022, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.