Cultural activities as a location factor in European competition between regions: Concepts and some evidence
AbstractThe main aim of this paper is to provide a theoretical background and empirical evidence on the importance of the cultural sector for competitiveness and development of the regional economy. It is argued that the fall of barriers to trade and the movement of capital and labor in the European Single Market will result in a transformation of the forces shaping its spatial structure. Consequently, the theory of international trade looses its capacity to explain the volume and structure of exchange between regions, which are or belong to different states within the European Union. On the other hand, the theory of spatial distribution of economic activities becomes increasingly relevant for explaining movements of the factors of production and patterns of interregional specialisation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Annals of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 34 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Note: Received: March 1997/Accepted: July 1998
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maria Llop & Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2012.
"Economic impact of a new museum on the local economy: “the Gaudí Centre”,"
Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences,
Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 17-23, March.
- Llop Llop, Maria & Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria, 2008. "Economic impact of a new museum on the local economy: "The Gaudí Centre"," Working Papers 2072/9529, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Maria Llop & Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2012. "Identifying the economic impact behind a cultural asset: an input–output subsystems analysis," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 49(3), pages 861-877, December.
- Anna Lejpras & Andreas Stephan, 2011.
"Locational conditions, cooperation, and innovativeness: evidence from research and company spin-offs,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 543-575, June.
- Lejpras, Anna & Stephan, Andreas, 2008. "Locational Conditions, Cooperation, and Innovativeness: evidence from research and company spin-offs," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 136, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Anna Lejpras & Andreas Stephan, 2008. "Locational Conditions, Cooperation, and Innovativeness: Evidence from Research and Company Spin-offs," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 804, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Yener Kandogan, 2003. "On Types of Trade,Adjustment of Labor and Welfare Gains During Asymmetric Liberalizations," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-568, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Russo, Antonio Paolo, 2000. "The Sustainable Cultural Cluster: Notes On Agglomeration, Tourism Policy And Information Technologies In Tourist Cities," ERSA conference papers ersa00p161, European Regional Science Association.
- Metaxas, Theodore, 2004. "Οικονομική Ανάπτυξη, Ανταγωνιστικότητα Και Μάρκετινγκ Της Πόλης: Η Άποψη Των Επιχειρήσεων Της Πόλης Της Λάρι," MPRA Paper 43301, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antonio Russo & Ian Smith, 2012. "Attractive regions: for whom? And how does that matter?," ERSA conference papers ersa12p362, European Regional Science Association.
- Antonio Russo & Myriam Jansen-Verbeke & Jan Van der Borg, 2005. "Mapping the Dynamics of European Culture - Pressure and Opportunities from the European Enlargement," ERSA conference papers ersa05p461, European Regional Science Association.
- Deffner, Alex & Metaxas, Theodore, 2008. "The cultural and tourist policy dimension in city marketing: the case of the olympic municipality of Nea Ionia, Magnesia, Greece," MPRA Paper 41001, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jul 2008.
- Metaxas, Theodore, 2010. "Planning, managing and implementing place/city marketing effectively: review and discussion of the last 25 years," MPRA Paper 41024, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
- Jan van der Borg & Antonio Russo, 2006. "Towards a European Spatial Policy for Culture," Working Papers 2006_34, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Ruben van Loon & Tom Gosens & Jan Rouwendal, 2014. "Cultural Heritage and the Attractiveness of Cities: Evidence from Recreation Trips," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 14-049/VIII, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.