Time Series Properties of the German Production Index
AbstractThe production index is an important indicator for assessing the cyclical state of the economy. Unfortunately, the monthly time series is contaminated by many noisy components like seasonal variations, calendar and vacation effects. Only part of those nuisance components are explicitly considered in the seasonal adjustment procedures used by statistical agencies. In this paper, we propose a more flexible specification for the seasonal and working day effects and introduce an indicator for the summer vacations effect. We allow for time-varying parameters and show that the resulting Unobserved Components Model delivers more reliable results for the trend and cycle components of the production index.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Allgemeines Statistisches Archiv.
Volume (Year): 89 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=112915
Other versions of this item:
- Flaig, Gebhard, 2005. "Time series properties of the German production index," Munich Reprints in Economics 20377, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Olaf Posch, 2007.
"Structural estimation of jump-diffusion processes in macroeconomics,"
CREATES Research Papers
2007-23, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Posch, Olaf, 2009. "Structural estimation of jump-diffusion processes in macroeconomics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 153(2), pages 196-210, December.
- Monika Ruschinski, 2006. "Investigating the Cyclical Properties of World Trade," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 30, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Löschel, Andreas & Oberndorfer, Ulrich, 2009.
"Oil and Unemployment in Germany,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
08-136, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Andreas Löschel & Ulrich Oberndorfer, 2009. "Oil and Unemployment in Germany," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 229(2-3), pages 146-162, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.