An analysis of maritime ro-ro freight transport service attributes through adaptive stated preference: an application to a sample of freight forwarders
AbstractIn this paper we present preliminary evidence from a pilot study carried out with the primary objective of testing the validity of adaptive conjoint data collecting methods in analysing operators’ preferences when redirecting current on-land transport services to a hypothetical maritime ro-ro service alternative. The analysis has focussed on a sample of freight forwarders. Through a combination of Revealed Preferences and Adaptive Stated Preference Experiments we have constructed a database of their preferences toward the maritime ro-ro alternative using a set of transport service attributes: price, reliability, frequency, transit time, etc. We have estimated the relevant parameters through a Tobit model and have been able to calculate relative trade-off values among the significant attributes. The resulting ranking highlights the relative importance of reliability and frequency in the decision to switch to maritime services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration in its journal European Transport / Trasporti Europei.
Volume (Year): (2004)
Issue (Month): 25-26 ()
Contact details of provider:
More information through EDIRC
Adaptive Stated Preferences; Conjoint analysis; Ro-ro maritime service; Freight transport; Freight forwarders;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brownstone, David & Bunch, David S & Train, Kenneth, 1999.
"Joint mixed logit models of stated and revealed preferences for alternative-fuel vehicles,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt45f996hh, University of California Transportation Center.
- Brownstone, David & Bunch, David S. & Train, Kenneth, 2000. "Joint mixed logit models of stated and revealed preferences for alternative-fuel vehicles," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 315-338, June.
- Brownston, David & Bunch, David S. & Train, Kenneth, 1999. "Joint mixed logit models of stated and revealed preferences for alternative-fuel vehicles," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt7rf7s3nx, University of California Transportation Center.
- Adamowicz, Wiktor & Swait, Joffre & Boxall, Peter & Louviere, Jordan & Williams, Michael, 1997. "Perceptions versus Objective Measures of Environmental Quality in Combined Revealed and Stated Preference Models of Environmental Valuation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 65-84, January.
- Maier, Gunther & Bergman, Edward M., 2000. "Stated Preferences For Transport Among Industrial Cluster Firms," ERSA conference papers ersa00p486, European Regional Science Association.
- Angela S. Bergantino & Simona Bolis, 2003. "An Adaptive Conjoint Analysis of Freight Service Alternatives: Evaluating the Maritime Alternative," ERSA conference papers ersa03p428, European Regional Science Association.
- Rico Maggi & Simona Bolis, 1998. "Adaptive stated preference analysis of shippers? transport and logistics choice," ERSA conference papers ersa98p496, European Regional Science Association.
- Simona Bolis & Rico Maggi, 2003. "Logistics Strategy and Transport Service Choices: An Adaptive Stated Preference Experiment," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 34(4), pages 490-504.
- Louviere,Jordan J. & Hensher,David A. & Swait,Joffre D., 2000. "Stated Choice Methods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521788304, April.
- Adamowicz W. & Louviere J. & Williams M., 1994. "Combining Revealed and Stated Preference Methods for Valuing Environmental Amenities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 271-292, May.
- Miguel Ángel López-Navarro, 2014. "Environmental Factors and Intermodal Freight Transportation: Analysis of the Decision Bases in the Case of Spanish Motorways of the Sea," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(3), pages 1544-1566, March.
- Truschkin, Eugen & Elbert, Ralf, 2013. "Horizontal transshipment technologies as enablers of combined transport: Impact of transport policies on the modal split," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 91-109.
- Feo, María & Espino, Raquel & García, Leandro, 2011. "An stated preference analysis of Spanish freight forwarders modal choice on the south-west Europe Motorway of the Sea," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 60-67, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Romeo Danielis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.