Productivity Issues in Canada: A Review Article
AbstractThis article, by Ian A. Stewart, is a review of the recently released Industry Canada research volume Productivity Issues in Canada, edited by Someshwar Rao and Andrew Sharpe. Stewart begins by noting that at over 900 pages and 25 papers the volume represents an important contribution to the productivity literature in Canada. He points out that data and measurement issues represent a central theme in the volume. Stewart also comments on what he sees as the diminishing importance of the macroeconomic perspective in the analysis of productivity growth. He believes that the golden age of productivity growth during the 1945-73 period was in large part due to the solid macroeconomic performance of the period, a theme not addressed by any of the papers in the volume.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Centre for the Study of Living Standards in its journal International Productivity Monitor.
Volume (Year): 5 (2002)
Issue (Month): (Fall)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O51 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - U.S.; Canada
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Whitney Hamilton) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Whitney Hamilton to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.