Extracting Market Expectations from Option Prices: Two Case Studies in Market Perceptions of the ECB's Monetary Policy 1999/2000
AbstractIn recent years various different techniques to uncover the information on market expectations contained in option prices have been developed. This paper applies the technique of fitting a mixture of lognormal densities to LIFFE Euribor futures options to estimate the risk-neutral implied probability density function for the future level of interest rates. Two sets of option prices are considered which cover the ECB's increases in official interest rates in November and February. The results are found to be consistent with market comment prevailing at that time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES) in its journal Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 138 (2002)
Issue (Month): II (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich
Phone: +41 (0)44 631 32 34
Fax: +41 (0)44 631 39 01
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
interest rate futures options; implied risk-neutral probability density functions; market expectations; monetary policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Söderlind, Paul, 1997.
"Market Expectations in the UK Before and After the ERM Crisis,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
210, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Sep 1998.
- Soderlind, Paul, 2000. "Market Expectations in the UK before and after the ERM Crisis," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 67(265), pages 1-18, February.
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2000.
"Reading the smile: the message conveyed by methods which infer risk neutral densities,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 885-915, December.
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 1998. "Reading the Smile: The Message Conveyed by Methods which Infer Risk Neutral Densities," CEPR Discussion Papers 2009, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Campa, Jose Manuel & Chang, P H Kevin, 1995. " Testing the Expectations Hypothesis on the Term Structure of Volatilities in Foreign Exchange Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 529-47, June.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Andrew W. Lo, 1995.
"Nonparametric Estimation of State-Price Densities Implicit in Financial Asset Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
5351, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia & Andrew W. Lo, 1998. "Nonparametric Estimation of State-Price Densities Implicit in Financial Asset Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 499-547, 04.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia & Andrew W. Lo, . "Nonparametric Estimation of State-Price Densities Implicit in Financial Asset Prices," CRSP working papers 332, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Nakamura, Hisashi & Shiratsuka, Shigenori, 1999.
"Extracting Market Expectations from Option Prices: Case Studies in Japanese Option Markets,"
Monetary and Economic Studies,
Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 17(1), pages 1-43, May.
- Hisashi Nakamura & Shigenori Shiratsuka, 1999. "Extracting market expectations from option prices: case studies in Japanese option markets," Working Paper Series WP-99-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Fabio Fornari & Roberto Violi, 1998.
"The Probability Density Function of Interest Rates Implied in the Price of Options,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
339, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Fornari, F. & Violi, R., 1998. "The Probability Density Function of Interest Rates Implied in the Price of Options," Papers 339, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Campa, J.M. & Chang, P.H.K., 1995.
"Arbitrage-Based Tests of Target Zone Credibility: Evidence from ERM Cross-Rate Options,"
95-25, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Campa, Jose Manuel & Chang, P H Kevin, 1996. "Arbitrage-Based Tests of Target-Zone Credibility: Evidence from ERM Cross-Rate Options," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 726-40, September.
- Louis O. Scott, 1992. "The Information Content of Prices in Derivative Security Markets," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(3), pages 596-625, September.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1993. "Forecasting Stock-Return Variance: Toward an Understanding of Stochastic Implied Volatilities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 293-326.
- Bernard Dumas & Jeff Fleming & Robert E. Whaley, 1998. "Implied Volatility Functions: Empirical Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2059-2106, December.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1995. " Predicting Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 507-28, June.
- Coutant, S. & Jondeau, E. & Rockinger, M., 1998. "Reading Interest Rate and Bond Futures Options' Smiles: How PIBOR and National Operators Appreciated the 1997 French Snap Election," Working papers 54, Banque de France.
- Canina, Linda & Figlewski, Stephen, 1993. "The Informational Content of Implied Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(3), pages 659-81.
- Ritchey, Robert J, 1990. "Call Option Valuation for Discrete Normal Mixtures," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 13(4), pages 285-96, Winter.
- Mc Manus, Des, 1999. "The Information Content of Interest Rate Futures Options," Working Papers 99-15, Bank of Canada.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The valuation of options for alternative stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 145-166.
- Breeden, Douglas T & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1978. "Prices of State-contingent Claims Implicit in Option Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 621-51, October.
- Jackwerth, Jens Carsten, 1999. "Option Implied Risk-Neutral Distributions and Implied Binomial Trees: A Literature Review," MPRA Paper 11634, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Campa, Jose M. & Chang, P. H. Kevin & Reider, Robert L., 1998. "Implied exchange rate distributions: evidence from OTC option markets1," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 117-160, February.
- Michael P. Leahy & Charles P. Thomas, 1996. "The sovereignty option: the Quebec referendum and market views on the Canadian dollar," International Finance Discussion Papers 555, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Campa, Jose M & Chang, P H Kevin, 1998. "ERM Realignment Risk and Its Economic Determinants as Reflected in Cross-Rate Options," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1046-66, July.
- Vähämaa, Sami, 2004.
"Option-implied asymmetries in bond market expectations around monetary policy actions of the ECB,"
Working Paper Series
0315, European Central Bank.
- Vahamaa, Sami, 2005. "Option-implied asymmetries in bond market expectations around monetary policy actions of the ECB," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 23-38.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.