The Pivotal Role of the European Union for Central and Eastern Europe
AbstractThis paper assesses the actual and potential trade arrangements between the European Union and Central and Eastern European countries. European Agreements have facilitated the reorientation of external trade of the Central European countries. This reorientation has already occurred with remarkable success. Central European countries are already selling over 60% of their total exports to the European Union. Taking as a benchmark a gravity model, actual export shares to the EU are generally larger than what the gravity model would suggest, contradicting the view that European Agreements were too protectionist for the export re-orientation of Central European countries. For those Eastern countries not covered by European Agreements, establishment of a European Free Trade Zone is proposed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES) in its journal Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 131 (1995)
Issue (Month): III (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich
Phone: +41 (0)44 631 32 34
Fax: +41 (0)44 631 39 01
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rombouts, Jeroen V. K. & Bauwens, Luc, 2004.
2004,33, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, Center for Applied Statistics and Economics (CASE).
- Havrylyshyn, Oleh & Pritchett, Lant, 1991. "European trade patterns after the transition," Policy Research Working Paper Series 748, The World Bank.
- Petith, Howard C, 1977. "European Integration and the Terms of Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(346), pages 262-72, June.
- Erik Faucompret & Jozef Konings & Hylke Vandenbussche, 1998.
"The Integration of Central and Eastern Europe in the European Union: Trade and Labour Market Adjustment,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
7598, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Vandenbussche, Hylke & Faucompret, E & Konings, Joep, 1998. "The integration of Central and Eastern Europe in the European Union: Trade and labour market adjustment," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/118261, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.