Quality Competition and Pricing-to-Market: A Unified Framework for the Analysis of Bilateral Unit Values
AbstractThis article presents a unified framework for analyzing two factors that have been independently studied as determinants of unit values in international trade: product differentiation by quality (which suggests that unit values should be positively correlated with exporters' per capita income) and pricing-to-market (which suggests they should be positively correlated with importers' per capita income). No previous work has considered both exporter and importer income effects and allowed these effects to vary by product. On a large sample of bilateral unit values for 2005, we find that about 56% of all Harmonized System (HS)-6 products demonstrate both significant exporter-income effects and importer-income effects, with the former predominating in prevalence and magnitude. Distance-related effects appearing directly in prices appear significantly larger than one would expect as a result of shipping margins.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 78 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (January)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Alessandria & Joseph P. Kaboski, 2011.
"Pricing-to-Market and the Failure of Absolute PPP,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 91-127, January.
- Paul Krugman, 1986. "Pricing to Market when the Exchange Rate Changes," NBER Working Papers 1926, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2008.
"Specialization across varieties and North-South competition,"
Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH,
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 23, pages 51-91, 01.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2007. "Specialisation across Varieties within Products and North-South Competition," Working Papers 2007-06, CEPII research center.
- David Hummels & Volodymyr Lugovskyy, 2006. "Are Matched Partner Trade Statistics a Usable Measure of Transportation Costs?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 69-86, 02.
- Mayer, Thierry & Zignago, Soledad, 2006.
"Notes on CEPII’s distances measures,"
26469, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thierry Mayer & Soledad Zignago, 2011. "Notes on CEPII’s distances measures: The GeoDist database," Working Papers 2011-25, CEPII research center.
- David Hummels, 2007. "Transportation Costs and International Trade in the Second Era of Globalization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 131-154, Summer.
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584.
- Baldwin, Richard & Ito, Tadashi, 2008.
"Quality Competition Versus Price Competition Goods: An Empirical Classification,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
6952, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- E. Baldwin, Richard & Ito, Tadashi, 2011. "Quality Competition Versus Price Competition Goods: An Empirical Classification," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 26, pages 110-135.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Tadashi Ito, 2008. "Quality competition versus price competition goods: An empirical classification," NBER Working Papers 14305, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Catherine Y. Co, 2007. "Factors That Account for the Large Variations in U.S. Export Prices," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 143(3), pages 557-582, October.
- Robert M. Feinberg, 2011. "Exports-at-Risk: the Effect of Multi-Market Contact in International Trade"," Working Papers, American University, Department of Economics 2011-09, American University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.