Symposium -An Empirical Examination of the Parimutuel Sports Lottery Market versus the Bookmaker Market
AbstractA sports lottery in Korea presents a unique opportunity for comparing a parimutuel-type sports lottery market against a bookmaker market outside the realm of horse racing. Using two- and three-game soccer final-score betting in the sports lottery market in Korea, which features matches in the English Premier League, we compare winning payoffs in this parimutuel-type sports lottery against corresponding payoffs from an established bookmaker market in the United Kingdom. We find that for outcomes with relatively high payouts (that is, lower-probability events), winning bets placed in the sports lottery market have greater payoffs than corresponding bets placed in the bookmaker-based market. However, the opposite is true for outcomes with relatively low payouts (that is, higher-probability events). Results suggest that participants in the sports lottery market tend to bet more toward high-probability events than the amount implied by the bookmaker’s odds. Results also suggest that the favoritelongshot bias is still present in the bookmaker market, even when there is less threat of privately informed bettors than in horse racing.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 76 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.