Demand Changes and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in a Finite-Horizon Model with Sectoral Adjustment Costs
AbstractIn this paper, we use the Blanchard-type uncertain lifetime overlapping generations framework to develop a three-good open economy to examine the effects of demand changes on the economic performance of small open economies with sectoral adjustment costs. Our simulation results reveal a discernible Harberger-Laursen-Metzler effect on both temporary and permanent terms-of-trade shocks. The inclusion of sectoral adjustment costs generates persistent deviations of the real exchange rate from its long-run equilibrium in response to terms-of-trade shocks, with the degree of sectoral adjustment costs having an effect on the subsequent dynamic transition of the economy. We also find that an increase in the mortality rate leads to a lowering of the current account.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 75 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F47 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mahbub Morshed, A.K.M. & Turnovsky, Stephen J., 2011. "Real exchange rate dynamics: The role of elastic labor supply," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1303-1322.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.