Foreign Aid and Human Development: The Impact of Foreign Aid to the Health Sector
AbstractThe appropriate role of foreign aid in promoting economic development has long been debated. With the recent change of focus from economic to human development, it is timely to investigate the effectiveness of aid in promoting human development. This paper is the first to empirically test the hypothesis that increases in human welfare can be achieved through health sector specific foreign aid. My results indicate that foreign aid is ineffective at increasing overall health and is an unsuccessful human development tool. These results hold after controlling for reverse causality and are robust to different model specifications.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 75 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ziesemer, Thomas, 2012.
"The impact of development aid on education and health: Survey and new evidence from dynamic models,"
MERIT Working Papers
057, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Ziesemer, Thomas, 2012. "The impact of development aid on education and health: Survey and new evidence from dynamic models," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 057, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Claudia Williamson, 2010. "Exploring the failure of foreign aid: The role of incentives and information," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 17-33, March.
- Joseph Young & Michael Findley, 2011. "Can peace be purchased? A sectoral-level analysis of aid’s influence on transnational terrorism," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 149(3), pages 365-381, December.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Hannes Öhler, 2010.
"Throwing Foreign Aid at HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries: Missing the Target?,"
Kiel Working Papers
1642, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Öhler, Hannes, 2011. "Throwing Foreign Aid at HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries: Missing the Target?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1704-1723.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Hannes Öhler, 2010. "Throwing Foreign Aid at HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries: Missing the Target?," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 42, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Öhler, Hannes, 2010. "Throwing foreign aid at HIV/AIDS in developing countries: Missing the target?," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 111, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Giorgio Gualberti & Luis Filipe Martins & Morgan Bazilian, 2012. "An Econometric Analysis of the Effectiveness of Development Finance for the Energy Sector," Working Papers 2012.100, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Yogo, Urbain Thierry & Mallaye, Douzounet, 2012. "Health Aid and Health Improvement in Sub Saharan Africa," MPRA Paper 44938, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wilson, Sven E., 2011. "Chasing Success: Health Sector Aid and Mortality," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 2032-2043.
- Nicolas Van de Sijpe, 2013.
"Is Foreign Aid Fungible? Evidence from the Education and Health Sectors,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 27(2), pages 320-356.
- Van de Sijpe, Nicolas, 2013. "Is foreign aid fungible ? evidence from the education and health sectors," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6346, The World Bank.
- N. Van De Sijpe, 2010. "Is foreign aid fungible? Evidence from the education and health sectors," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 10/688, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Nicolas Van de Sijpe, 2010. "Is foreign aid fungible?� Evidence from the education and health sectors," Economics Series Working Papers CSAE WPS/2010-38, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Nicolas Van de Sijpe, 2010. "Is foreign aid fungible? Evidence from the education and health sectors," CSAE Working Paper Series 2010-38, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Bah, El-hadj M. & Ward, Jeremy, 2011. "Effectiveness of foreign aid in Small Island Developing States," MPRA Paper 32062, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Easterly, William & Williamson, Claudia R., 2011.
"Rhetoric versus Reality: The Best and Worst of Aid Agency Practices,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 1930-1949.
- Easterly, William & Williamson, Claudia R., 2011. "Rhetoric versus reality: the best and worst of aid agency practices," MPRA Paper 39139, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yousuf, Ahmed Sadek, 2012. "Impact of Health Aid on Infant Mortality Rate," MPRA Paper 42945, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Oct 2012.
- Afridi, Muhammad Asim & Ventelou, Bruno, 2013. "Impact of health aid in developing countries: The public vs. the private channels," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 759-765.
- Findley, Michael G. & Powell, Josh & Strandow, Daniel & Tanner, Jeff, 2011. "The Localized Geography of Foreign Aid: A New Dataset and Application to Violent Armed Conflict," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 1995-2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.