Aid, Policies, and Growth in Developing Countries: A New Look at the Empirics
AbstractThe relationship between foreign aid and economic growth has been the subject of much controversy. A recent theme suggesting that aid promotes growth, but only in a good policy environment has ratcheted up that debate. In this paper, we assess the importance of policy and aid in generating growth when the aid, policy, and growth relationship is nonlinear. This allows us to examine the varying effects of aid and policy in different data segments, which we do without imposing any particular structure on the underlying relationship. We find that policy is an important determinant of growth. We also find partial corroboration of the view that aid is growth enhancing in a good policy environment, and some evidence of diminishing returns to aid. These findings suggest that nonlinearities if not appropriately addressed fail to capture the detailed underlying dynamics and thereby mask some key features of the aid-policy-growth relationship.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 74 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (January)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- James B. Ang, 2009.
"Financial Liberalization And The Aid Growth Relationship In India,"
Development Research Unit Working Paper Series
10-09, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- James, Ang, 2009. "Financial Liberalization and the Aid-Growth Relationship in India," MPRA Paper 14411, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Unbreen Qayyum, 2013. "Institutional Quality, Conflict and Aid Dependency," PIDE-Working Papers, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics 2013:94, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Qayyum, Unbreen & Musleh ud, Din & Haider, Adnan, 2012.
"Foreign Aid, External Debt and Governance,"
40260, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nowak-Lehmann D., Felicitas & Martínez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada & Herzer, Dierk & Klasen, Stephan & Dreher, Axel, 2009. "The search for a long-run aid and growth relationship: Pitfalls and findings," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Frankfurt a.M. 2009 23, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Shankar Ghimire & Debasri Mukherjee & Eskander Alvi, 2013. "Sectoral Aid-for-Trade and Sectoral Exports: A Seemingly Unrelated Regression Analysis," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(4), pages 2744-2755.
- Lessmann, Christian & Markwardt, Gunther, 2009. "Aid, growth and decentralization," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 09/09, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Debasri Mukherjee & Elias Shukralla & Eskander Alvi, 2008. "Foreign Aid, Growth, Policy And Reform," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(6), pages 1-9.
- Christian Lessmann & Gunther Markwardt, 2009.
"Aid, Growth and Devolution,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2805, CESifo Group Munich.
- Muhammad Javid & Abdul Qayyum, 2011. "Foreign Aid and Growth Nexus in Pakistan: The Role of Macroeconomic Policies," PIDE-Working Papers, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics 2011:72, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Armah, Stephen E. & Nelson, Carl H., 2008. "Is Foreign Aid Beneficial for Sub-Saharan Africa? A Panel Data Analysis," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) 6356, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.