Domestic–foreign Interest Rate Differentials: Near Unit Roots and Symmetric Threshold Models
AbstractThis paper investigates the near unit root behavior of interest rate differentials across countries using a symmetric Band–TAR model that allows for a heteroscedastic error process. We find that the time series properties of monthly short-term interest differentials over the period 1974–2005 between the United States and Canada, France, Germany, Japan, and the United Kingdom can be characterized by a symmetric Band–TAR process, which can explain its (near) unit root behavior reported in the extant literature. Results significantly reject a linear model in favor of the alternative hypothesis of a two-regime symmetric threshold model that exhibits significantly greater persistence within the threshold bands than when outside the threshold bands.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 73 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (January)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Chan Tze Haw, 2009.
"The Real Interest Rate Differential: International Evidence Based On Non-Linear Unit Root Tests,"
Bulletin of Economic Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 83-94, 01.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Chan, Tze-Haw, 2007. "The real interest rate differential: international evidence based on nonlinear unit root tests," MPRA Paper 7300, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.