Export Promotion through Exchange Rate Changes: Exchange Rate Depreciation or Stabilization
AbstractExchange rate movements affect exports in two ways—rate depreciation and rate variability (risk). A depreciation raises exports, but the associated exchange rate risk could offset that positive effect. The present paper investigates the net effect for eight Asian countries using a dynamic conditional correlation bivariate GARCH-M model that simultaneously estimates time-varying correlation and exchange rate risk. Depreciation encourages exports, as expected, for most countries, but its contribution to export growth is weak. Exchange rate risk contributes to export growth in Malaysia and the Philippines, leading to positive net effects. Exchange rate risk generates a negative effect for six of the countries, resulting in a negative net effect in Indonesia, Japan, Singapore, and Taiwan and a zero net effect in Korea and Thailand.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 72 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (January)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anson, José & Boffa, Mauro & Helble, Matthias, 2014. "A Short-Run Analysis of Exchange Rates and International Trade with an Application to Australia, New Zealand, and Japan," ADBI Working Papers 471, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Freund, Caroline & Pierola, Martha Denisse, 2008. "Export surges : the oower of a competitive currency," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4750, The World Bank.
- Cimoli, Mario & Fleitas, Sebastian & Porcile, Gabriel, 2011. "Real Exchange Rate and the Structure of Exports," MPRA Paper 37846, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Samba MBAYE, 2012.
"Beggar-thy-Neighbor Effects of Currency Undervaluation: Is China the Tip of the Iceberg?,"
- Samba Mbaye, 2012. "Beggar-thy-Neighbor Effects of Currency Undervaluation: Is China the Tip of the Iceberg?," Working Papers halshs-00761380, HAL.
- P., Srinivasan & M., Kalaivani, 2012. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Export Growth in India: An Empirical Investigation," MPRA Paper 43828, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Catherine Laroche-Dupraz & Marilyne Huchet-Bourdon & Anned-Linz SENADIN, 2012. "Impact du taux de change sur la sÃ©curitÃ© alimentaire des pays en dÃ©veloppement," Working Papers 169742, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Li, Xiao-Ming, 2011. "How do exchange rates co-move? A study on the currencies of five inflation-targeting countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 418-429, February.
- Anca GHERMAN & George ŞTEFAN & Adriana FILIP, 2013. "Exchange rate volatility effects on export competitiveness. Romanian Case," Theoretical and Applied Economics, Asociatia Generala a Economistilor din Romania - AGER, vol. 0(9(586)), pages 39-50, September.
- Joseph Dery Nyeadi & Oswald Atiga & Charles Amoyea Atogenzoya, 2014. "The Impact of Exchange Rate Movement on Export: Empirical Evidence from Ghana," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 4(3), pages 41-48, July.
- Auboin, Marc & Ruta, Michele, 2013.
"The relationship between exchange rates and international trade: a literature review,"
World Trade Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 577-605, July.
- Marc Auboin & Michele Ruta, 2012. "The Relationship between Exchange Rates and International Trade: A Literature Review," CESifo Working Paper Series 3868, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gullstrand, Joakim, 2011. "Firm and destination-specific export costs: The case of the Swedish food sector," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 204-213, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.