Partial Agglomeration or Dispersion in Spatial Cournot Competition
AbstractWe revisit works by Pal and Matsushima, which, respectively, present different equilibrium locations. We consider nonlinear transport costs and show that Pal's result (dispersion) is more robust than Matsushima's (partial agglomeration). Pal's result holds true for any transport cost function, while Matsushima's does not hold under strong concavity or convexity of the transport cost function. If we consider sequential move of location, Pal's result holds for any transport costs. On the other hand, Matsushima's does not hold except for linear transport cost. We also discuss welfare and show that nonlinearity of the transport cost function yields rich welfare implications.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 72 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R32 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Other Production and Pricing Analysis
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00196099 is not listed on IDEAS
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Daisuke Shimizu, 2009. "Equilibrium Location and Economic Welfare in Delivered Pricing Oligopoly," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 760-768.
- Ricardo Biscaia & Isabel Mota, 2011.
"Models of Spatial Competition: A critical review,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa11p1518, European Regional Science Association.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2012. "Spatial Cournot competition and transportation costs in a circular city," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 48(1), pages 33-44, February.
- Takeshi Ebina & Toshihiro Matsumura & Daisuke Shimizu, 2009. "Mixed oligopoly and spatial agglomeration in quasi-linear city," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 2722-2729.
- Inoue, Tomohiro & Kamijo, Yoshio & Tomaru, Yoshihiro, 2009. "Interregional mixed duopoly," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 233-242, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.