Boundaries of the Tournament Pricing Effect in Asset Markets: Evidence from Experimental Markets
AbstractTournament compensation of asset traders has been shown to promote deconvergence from intrinsic value pricing in an experimental asset market where all traders are so compensated (James and Isaac 2000). This paper explores the extent of this effect as experimental design parameters—proportion of traders facing tournament compensation, details of the tournament contract, and time horizon of the asset being traded—are varied. We find that the original results are replicated using the original parameters, that a tournament contract modified to provide a penalty for underperformance does not necessarily eliminate the effect, and that reducing the proportion of traders facing tournament compensation to half the market largely eliminates the effect.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 69 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stéphane Robin & Katerina Straznicka & Marie-Claire Villeval, 2012.
"Bubbles and Incentives : An Experiment on Asset Markets,"
- Stéphane Robin & Katerina Straznicka & Marie Claire Villeval, 2012. "Bubbles and Incentives : An Experiment on Asset Markets," Working Papers 1235, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Cheung, Stephen L. & Coleman, Andrew, 2012.
"League-Table Incentives and Price Bubbles in Experimental Asset Markets,"
2012-13, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Cheung, Stephen L. & Coleman, Andrew, 2011. "League-Table Incentives and Price Bubbles in Experimental Asset Markets," IZA Discussion Papers 5704, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Berlemann, Michael & Vöpel, Henning, 2012. "Tournament incentives and asset price bubbles: Evidence from a field experiment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 232-235.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.