Divestiture and Its Implications for Innovation and Productivity Growth in U.S. Telecommunications
AbstractThis study has sought to determine the impact of policy changes that led to the breakup of the monopoly structure of U.S. telecommunications on productivity and research activities of AT&T. A simultaneous-equations model is used to examine the relationship between research intensity, market share, firm size, and total factor productivity (TFP) before and after divestiture. The results show that the effect of divestiture on productivity is negative but that competition has a significantly positive effect. Contrary to popular argument, competition led to significant increases in R&D investment by AT&T. The study also finds a strong and positive relationship between R&D and productivity in the postdivestiture period, marked by its absence in the predivestiture years. Scale economies remain important, indicating the industry continues to favor large firms.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 69 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (January)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Enowbi Batuo, Michael, 2008. "The Role of Telecommunication Infrastructure in the Regional Economic Growth of Africa," MPRA Paper 12431, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Oct 2008.
- Lestage, Romain & Flacher, David & Kim, Yeonbae & Kim, Jihwan & Kim, Yunhee, 2013. "Competition and investment in telecommunications: Does competition have the same impact on investment by private and state-owned firms?," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 41-50.
- Enowbi Batuo, Michael, 2008. "The Role of Telecommunication Infrastructure in the Regional Economic Growth of Africa," MPRA Paper 19133, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.