Stochastic Estimation of Firm Inefficiency Using Distance Functions
AbstractEconometric estimation of allocative and technical efficiency has frequently been carried out using a shadow cost function and its associated share or demand equations. Since the problem is formulated in terms of shadow prices, the effect of allocative inefficiency on input usage must be computed indirectly from input share or demand equations. As an alternative approach, we derive and estimate an input shadow distance system comprising the dual shadow input distance function and the price equations derived from the shadow cost minimization problem. Estimated shadow quantities provide direct estimates of the effect of allocative inefficiency on input usage. One can also easily calculate firm- and time-varying technical inefficiency by decomposing the residuals. We also compute returns to scale and the cost savings obtained by eliminating both types of inefficiency. Our approach is illustrated using a panel of U.S. railroads.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 69 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (January)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sauer, Johannes & Walsh, John & Zilberman, David, 2012. "Producer Behaviour and Agri-Environmental Policies: A Directional Distance based Matching Approach," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124877, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Chambers, Robert & Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Vardanyan, Michael, 2013.
"Generalized quadratic revenue functions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 11-21.
- Tamini, Lota D. & Larue, Bruno, 2009.
"Technical and Environmental efficiencies and Best Management Practices in Agriculture,"
18964, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lota D. Tamini & Bruno Larue & Gale West, 2012. "Technical and environmental efficiencies and best management practices in agriculture," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(13), pages 1659-1672, May.
- Rolf Färe & Carlos Martins-Filho & Michael Vardanyan, 2010. "On functional form representation of multi-output production technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 81-96, April.
- Balcombe, Kelvin George & Doucouliagos, Hristos & Fraser, Iain, 2007.
"Input usage, output mix and industry deregulation: an analysis of the Australian dairy manufacturing industry,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(2), June.
- Kevin Balcombe & Hristos Doucouliagos & Iain Fraseer, 2006. "Input Usage, Ouput Mix and Industry Deregulation: An Analysis of the Australian Dairy Manufacturing Industry," Economics Series 2006_27, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Sauer, Johannes & Latacz-Lohmann, Uwe, 2012. "Efficient Innovation in Dairy Production - Empirical Findings for Germany," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 137386, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Marsh, Thomas L. & Featherstone, Allen M., 2003. "Inverse Demand Relationships For Wheat Food Use By Class," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22001, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sauer, Johannes & Walsh, John & Zilberman, David, 2013. "Agri-Environmental Policy Effects at Producer Level - Identification and Measurement," 53rd Annual Conference, Berlin, Germany, September 25-27, 2013 156099, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Sauer, Johannes & Walsh, John & Zilberman, David, 2012. "Behavioural Change through Agri-Environmental Policies ? – A Distance Function based Matching Approach," 86th Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2012, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 134783, Agricultural Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.