Stochastic Estimation of Firm Inefficiency Using Distance Functions
AbstractEconometric estimation of allocative and technical efficiency has frequently been carried out using a shadow cost function and its associated share or demand equations. Since the problem is formulated in terms of shadow prices, the effect of allocative inefficiency on input usage must be computed indirectly from input share or demand equations. As an alternative approach, we derive and estimate an input shadow distance system comprising the dual shadow input distance function and the price equations derived from the shadow cost minimization problem. Estimated shadow quantities provide direct estimates of the effect of allocative inefficiency on input usage. One can also easily calculate firm- and time-varying technical inefficiency by decomposing the residuals. We also compute returns to scale and the cost savings obtained by eliminating both types of inefficiency. Our approach is illustrated using a panel of U.S. railroads.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 69 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (January)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sauer, Johannes & Walsh, John & Zilberman, David, 2012. "Behavioural Change through Agri-Environmental Policies ? – A Distance Function based Matching Approach," 86th Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2012, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 134783, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Sauer, Johannes & Walsh, John & Zilberman, David, 2013. "Agri-Environmental Policy Effects at Producer Level - Identification and Measurement," 53rd Annual Conference, Berlin, Germany, September 25-27, 2013 156099, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Rolf Färe & Carlos Martins-Filho & Michael Vardanyan, 2010. "On functional form representation of multi-output production technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 81-96, April.
- Rolf Färe & Daniel Primont, 2012. "Dual allocative efficiency parameters," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 233-238, June.
- Malgorzata Sulimierska, 2014. "Total factor productivity estimation for Polish manufacturing industry: A comparison of alternative methods," Working Paper Series 6714, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
- Chambers, Robert & Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Vardanyan, Michael, 2013.
"Generalized quadratic revenue functions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 11-21.
- Sauer, Johannes & Walsh, John & Zilberman, David, 2012. "Producer Behaviour and Agri-Environmental Policies: A Directional Distance based Matching Approach," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124877, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Kevin Balcombe & Hristos Doucouliagos & Iain Fraseer, 2006.
"Input Usage, Ouput Mix and Industry Deregulation: An Analysis of the Australian Dairy Manufacturing Industry,"
2006_27, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Balcombe, Kelvin George & Doucouliagos, Hristos & Fraser, Iain, 2007. "Input usage, output mix and industry deregulation: an analysis of the Australian dairy manufacturing industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(2), June.
- Lota D. Tamini & Bruno Larue & Gale West, 2012.
"Technical and environmental efficiencies and best management practices in agriculture,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(13), pages 1659-1672, May.
- Tamini, Lota D. & Larue, Bruno, 2009. "Technical and Environmental efficiencies and Best Management Practices in Agriculture," MPRA Paper 18964, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marsh, Thomas L. & Featherstone, Allen M., 2003. "Inverse Demand Relationships For Wheat Food Use By Class," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22001, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sauer, Johannes & Latacz-Lohmann, Uwe, 2012. "Efficient Innovation in Dairy Production - Empirical Findings for Germany," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 137386, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.