Nominal Revaluation of Cross-Border Assets, Terms-of-Trade Changes, International Portfolio Diversification, and International Risk Sharing
AbstractUsing a simple theoretical model, I suggest that the nominal revaluation of cross-border assets (the international wealth redistribution through the changes in nominal variables) may work as an international risk-sharing mechanism at the aggregate level. Then, I empirically examine three risk-sharing channels: the nominal revaluation of cross-border assets, the terms-of-trade channel suggested by , and cross-border security ownership (international portfolio diversification). Empirical results suggest that the nominal revaluation hedges country-specific consumption risks at the aggregate level but that the other two channels do not. The results have interesting implications on international risk-sharing and exchange rate regime comparison.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 69 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lane, Philip R. & Shambaugh, Jay C., 2010.
"The long or short of it: Determinants of foreign currency exposure in external balance sheets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 33-44, January.
- Philip R. Lane & Jay C. Shambaugh, 2009. "The Long or Short of it: Determinants of Foreign Currency Exposure in External Balance Sheets," NBER Working Papers 14909, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lane, Philip R. & Shambaugh, Jay C, 2008. "The Long or Short of it: Determinants of Foreign Currency Exposure in External Balance Sheets," CEPR Discussion Papers 6887, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane and Jay C. Shambaugh, 2008. "The Long or Short of it: Determinants of Foreign Currency Exposure in External Balance Sheets," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp253, IIIS.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 2012.
"Financial flows, financial crises, and global imbalances,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 469-480.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 2011. "Financial Flows, Financial Crises, and Global Imbalances," CEPR Discussion Papers 8611, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Vahagn Galstyan & Philip Lane, 2010. "The Dynamics of Portfolio Holdings in Emerging Europe," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp346, IIIS.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.