Causality Links between Consumer and Producer Prices: Some Empirical Evidence
AbstractThis paper reexamines the relationship between consumer and producer prices in the G7 countries (United States, Canada, Germany, France, Italy, United Kingdom, and Japan), and it improves on the existing literature in two ways. First, it takes into account causality links arising from the transmission mechanism of monetary policy, which are generally overlooked. Second, it employs the causality testing method for unstable systems recently introduced by, which results in standard asymptotics, thereby obtaining valid statistical inference. The empirical results are consistent with the conventional wisdom according to which there is unidirectional causality running from producer to consumer prices, bidirectional causality (or even no significant links) only being found when the causality links reflecting the monetary transmission mechanism are ignored.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 68 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (January)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Tiwari, Aviral Kumar & Tahir, Mohammad Iqbal, 2012.
"Does CPI Granger-cause WPI? New extensions from frequency domain approach in Pakistan,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1592-1597.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Kumar, A.T.K. & Mohammad, Iqbal Tahir, 2012. "Does CPI Granger-Cause WPI? New Extensions from Frequency Domain Approach in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 38816, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 May 2012.
- Aviral Kumar Tiwari & Suresh K.G. & Mohamed Arouri & Frédéric Teulon, 2014.
"Causality between consumer price and producer price: Evidence from Mexico,"
2014-292, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Tiwari, Aviral Kumar & Suresh K.G., & Arouri, Mohamed & Teulon, Frédéric, 2014. "Causality between consumer price and producer price: Evidence from Mexico," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 432-440.
- Gómez Aguirre Mario & Lenin Navarro Chávez José César, 2014. "Relación de causalidad entre el índice de precios del productor y el índice de precios del consumidor incorporando cambios estructurales. El caso de México," Contaduría y Administración:Revista Internacional, Accounting and Management: International Journal, vol. 59(2), pages 179-196, abril-jun.
- Aleksander Janes, 2011. "Managing Sustainability with a Little Help from Statistical Methods?," MIC 2011: Managing Sustainability? Proceedings of the 12th International Conference, Portorož, 23–26 November 2011 [Selected Papers], University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper.
- Tiwari, Aviral & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2010.
"Modelling the Relationship between Whole Sale Price and Consumer Price Indices: Cointegration and Causality Analysis for India,"
27333, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aviral Kumar Tiwari & Muhammad Shahbaz, 2013. "Modelling the Relationship between Whole Sale Price and Consumer Price Indices: Cointegration and Causality Analysis for India," Global Business Review, International Management Institute, vol. 14(3), pages 397-411, September.
- Tiwari, Aviral Kumar & Mutascu, Mihai & Andries, Alin Marius, 2013. "Decomposing time-frequency relationship between producer price and consumer price indices in Romania through wavelet analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 151-159.
- Tiwari, Aviral Kumar, 2012. "An empirical investigation of causality between producers' price and consumers' price indices in Australia in frequency domain," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1571-1578.
- Devanthran, Haritharan, 2009. "Interdependence of SAARC-7 countries: an empirical study of business cycles," MPRA Paper 32798, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Niclas Andrén & Lars Oxelheim, 2011. "Exchange rate regime shift and price patterns," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(2), pages 153-178, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.