Excess Returns of Industrial Stocks and the Real Estate Factor
AbstractIn order to identify the major risk factors in pricing industrial stocks, this study estimates different models based on six explanatory factors: the overall stock market, size, book-to-market equity ratio, the term structure, default risk, and the unsecuritized real estate market. The results of this study indicate that the real estate factor plays an important role in explaining excess returns on industrial stocks, along with other risk factors. The coefficient of the stock market factor declines when the real estate market factor is included in the model. Therefore, the large coefficient in the single-factor (stock market) model probably results from covariation between the overall stock market factor and the real estate factor. Results for subperiods indicate that the effects of the real estate factor are quite stable and second only to the overall stock market factor.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 68 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (January)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ling He & Alan Reichert, 2003. "Time variation paths of factors affecting financial institutions and stock returns," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 31(1), pages 71-86, March.
- Kevin Chiang, 2009. "Discovering REIT Price Discovery: A New Data Setting," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 74-91, July.
- Ling T. He, & James. R. Webb & Neil Myer, 2003. "Interest Rate Sensitivities of REIT Returns," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 6(1), pages 1-21.
- Ming-Long Lee & Ming-Te Lee & Kevin Chiang, 2008. "Real Estate Risk Exposure of Equity Real Estate Investment Trusts," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 165-181, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.