The Demand For Money: A Structural Econometric Investigation
AbstractThis study empirically investigates dynamic microfoundations for the conventional static money demand equation. An intertemporal substitution model with the addilog utility function yields a money demand relationship that closely approximates the double log specification. Results from previous empirical studies largely support the derived equation. Estimations with quarterly U.S. data support cointegration among real per capita M1 and consumption, and an after-tax long-term interest rate for the post-1980 period. Estimated short-run intertemporal interest rate elasticities of consumption vary from ?0.26 to ?0.93. Estimated long-run elasticities of substitution between consumption and money range from ?0.26 to ?0.41.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 68 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Inagaki, Kazuyuki, 2009. "Estimating the interest rate semi-elasticity of the demand for money in low interest rate environments," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 147-154, January.
- Jones, Barry E. & Stracca, Livio, 2006. "Are money and consumption additively separable in the euro area? A non-parametric approach," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 0704, European Central Bank.
- Duca, John V. & VanHoose, David D., 2004. "Recent developments in understanding the demand for money," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 247-272.
- Hernández Monsalve, Mauricio A. & Posada Posada, Carlos Esteban, 2006. "La demanda por dinero en Colombia: un poco más de evidencia en el período reciente," PERFIL DE COYUNTURA ECONÓMICA, UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - CIE.
- Mauricio Hernández Monsalve & Munir A. Jalil Barney & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2006. "¿Por qué ha crecido tanto la cantidad de dinero?: teoría y Evidencia Internacional (1975-2002)," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003821, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Mauricio A. Hernández & Munir Jalil Barney & Carlos Esteban Posada, . "¿Por qué ha crecido tanto la cantidad de dinero?: teoría y evidencia internacional (1975-2002)§," Borradores de Economia 402, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.