Decentralization and Transfer Pricing Under Oligopoly
AbstractThis paper presents a simple model of a partially decentralized multinational firm (MNF) in competition with a rival firm. It is shown that transfer pricing can be used as a rent-shifting device by the MNF to compete with the rival. This arises because the MNF headquarters uses the transfer price to manage different subsidiaries. The specific value of the transfer price chosen by the MNF depends on whether the rival firm produces the intermediate good, the final good, or both and whether the rival is integrated or not. In particular, both decentralization and competition with a fully integrated rival result in lower transfer prices.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 67 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Choe, Chongwoo & Matsushima, Noriaki, 2011.
"The Arm's Length Principle and Tacit Collusion,"
37295, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Mar 2012.
- Lakhal, Salem Y. & H'Mida, Souad & Venkatadri, Uday, 2005. "A market-driven transfer price for distributed products using mathematical programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(3), pages 690-699, May.
- Nielsen, Søren Bo & Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2005.
"Centralized vs. De-centralized Multinationals and Taxes,"
10-2005, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Søren Bo Nielsen & Pascalis Raimondos-Møller & Guttorm Schjelderup, 2005. "Centralized vs. De-centralized Multinationals and Taxes," CESifo Working Paper Series 1586, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jacques Thépot & Jean-Luc Netzer, 2007.
"On the optimality of the full cost pricing,"
Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center
2007-05, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg (France).
- Kenji Matsui, 2012. "Auditing internal transfer prices in multinationals under monopolistic competition," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 19(6), pages 800-818, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.