Exchange Rate Volatility and International Trade
AbstractThe purpose of this note is to show that a positive effect of exchange rate volatility on export production has a theoretical basis. The key to this claim is that, as the exchange rate volatility increases, so does the value of the real option to export to the world market. Higher volatility increases the potential gains from trade. This may explain part of the mixed empirical findings regarding the effects of exchange rate risk on international trade.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 66 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Friberg, Richard, 2000.
"Two monies, two markets? Variability and the option to segment,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
349, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Friberg, Richard, 2001. "Two monies, two markets?: Variability and the option to segment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 317-327, December.
- Gilroy, Bernard Michael & Lukas, Elmar, 2005.
"The Choice between Greenfield Investment and Cross-border Acquisition: A Real Option Approach,"
18819, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gilroy, Bernard Michael & Lukas, Elmar, 2006. "The choice between greenfield investment and cross-border acquisition: A real option approach," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 447-465, July.
- Auboin, Marc & Ruta, Michele, 2013.
"The relationship between exchange rates and international trade: a literature review,"
World Trade Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 577-605, July.
- Marc Auboin & Michele Ruta, 2012. "The Relationship between Exchange Rates and International Trade: A Literature Review," CESifo Working Paper Series 3868, CESifo Group Munich.
- Almarwani, Abdul & Jolly, Curtis M. & Thompson, Henry, 2007. "Exchange Rates and Commodity Markets: Global Exports of Corn, Cotton, Poultry, and Soybeans," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(1), January.
- Marilyne Huchet-Bourdon & Jane Korinek, 2011.
"To What Extent Do Exchange Rates and their Volatility Affect Trade?,"
OECD Trade Policy Papers
119, OECD Publishing.
- Maryline Huchet-Bourdon & J. Korinek, 2011. "To what extent do exchange rates and their volatility affect trade ?," Post-Print hal-00729403, HAL.
- Subhani, Muhammad Imtiaz, 2009. "Bilateral trade: a study on SAARC countries," MPRA Paper 36158, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Udo Broll & Sabine Hansen-Averlant, 2010. "Exchange rate volatility, international trade and labour demand," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 423-436, December.
- B. Michael Gilroy & Elmar Lukas & Christian Heimann, 2013. "Technologiestandort Deutschland und internationale Wissensspillover, Welchen Einfluss nehmen auslaendische MNU auf deutsche Exporte?," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 233(5-6), pages 575-599, October.
- Fang, WenShwo & Lai, YiHao & Miller, Stephen M., 2009.
"Does exchange rate risk affect exports asymmetrically? Asian evidence,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 215-239, March.
- WenShwo Fang & YiHao Lai & Stephen M. Miller, 2005. "Does Exchange Rate Risk Affect Exports Asymmetrically? Asian Evidence," Working papers 2005-09, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Fang, WenShwo & Lai, YiHao & Thompson, Henry, 2007. "Exchange rates, exchange risk, and Asian export revenue," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 237-254.
- Broll, Udo & Hansen, Sabine, 2004. "Labour Demand and Exchange Rate Volatility," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 28, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Kafle, Kashi R. & Kennedy, P. Lynn, 2012. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Bilateral Agricultural Trade Flows: The Case of the United States and OECD Countries," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119736, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Lee, Seung-Hyun & Makhija, Mona & Paik, Yongsun, 2008. "The value of real options investments under abnormal uncertainty: The case of the Korean economic crisis," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 16-34, January.
- Broll, Udo & Eckwert, Bernhard, 2003. "Transparency in the foreign exchange market and the volume of international trade," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 14/03, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- P., Srinivasan & M., Kalaivani, 2012. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Export Growth in India: An Empirical Investigation," MPRA Paper 43828, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wong, Kit Pong, 2007. "Operational and financial hedging for exporting firms," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 459-470.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.