A Positive Model of Reserve Requirements and Interest on Reserves: A Clearinghouse Interpretation of the Federal Reserve System
AbstractThis paper develops a positive model of reserve requirements and interest on reserves, based on the observation that Congress exempted the Fed from a legal restriction that had prevented private clearinghouses from issuing their own currency. Eliminating the restriction provided the Fed with a source of revenue that could be used to finance general government outlays and to pay implicit interest on reserves. The model implies that the government’s financing requirements help explain reserve requirement movements and that interest rates on reserves vary with market loan rates. Cointegration, error-correction, and Granger-causality tests provide supporting evidence.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 66 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mark G. Guzman, 2006.
"The impact of paying interest on reserves in the presence of government deficit financing,"
Economic Analysis Research Group Working Papers
earg-wp2006-08, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Mark G. Guzman, 2008. "The Impact Of Paying Interest On Reserves In The Presence Of Government Deficit Financing," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(4), pages 624-642, October.
- Mark G. Guzman, 2004. "The impact of paying interest on reserves in the presence of government deficit financing," Working Papers 0406, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Mark G. Guzman, 2006. "The impact of paying interest on reserves in the presence of government deficit financing," Economics & Management Discussion Papers em-dp2006-39, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Mark G. Guzman, 2007. "The Impact of Paying Interest on Reserves in the Presence of Government Deficit Financing," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 92, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.