A Positive Model of Reserve Requirements and Interest on Reserves: A Clearinghouse Interpretation of the Federal Reserve System
AbstractThis paper develops a positive model of reserve requirements and interest on reserves, based on the observation that Congress exempted the Fed from a legal restriction that had prevented private clearinghouses from issuing their own currency. Eliminating the restriction provided the Fed with a source of revenue that could be used to finance general government outlays and to pay implicit interest on reserves. The model implies that the government’s financing requirements help explain reserve requirement movements and that interest rates on reserves vary with market loan rates. Cointegration, error-correction, and Granger-causality tests provide supporting evidence.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Economic Association in its journal Southern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 66 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mark G. Guzman, 2007.
"The Impact of Paying Interest on Reserves in the Presence of Government Deficit Financing,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006
92, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Mark G. Guzman, 2008. "The Impact Of Paying Interest On Reserves In The Presence Of Government Deficit Financing," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(4), pages 624-642, October.
- Mark G. Guzman, 2006. "The impact of paying interest on reserves in the presence of government deficit financing," Economics & Management Discussion Papers em-dp2006-39, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Mark G. Guzman, 2004. "The impact of paying interest on reserves in the presence of government deficit financing," Working Papers 0406, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Mark G. Guzman, 2006. "The impact of paying interest on reserves in the presence of government deficit financing," Economic Analysis Research Group Working Papers earg-wp2006-08, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- repec:rdg:wpaper:em-dp2006-39 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Razzolini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.