Technical Efficiency of Land Tenure Contracts in West Java Province, Indonesia
AbstractObtaining land tenure contracts for rice farms is a major problem faced by farmer tenants in the province of West Java. This study aimed to analyze the type of land tenure contracts in this region and the levels of technical efficiency of each contract system. Data were collected through a survey, with respondents randomly selected from the Karawang and Subang districts of West Java. The stochastic frontier was used to determine the efficiency of each system. Results showed that the average area being tilled was higher than land owned due to land tenure arrangements that increased farmers’ access to land. Three common land tenure contracts in this region are fixed rental, sharecropping, and mortgage. Sharecropping and mortgage coefficients were found to be less efficient, while fixed rental was more efficient compared to owner-cultivated plots. These results provided evidence to support the view that sharecropping is inefficient for the tenants. However, sharecropping is still a common type of land transaction in West Java. To improve efficiency, the local government can help farmers by enabling them to lease land through fixed rental or other more favorable arrangements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture in its journal Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development.
Volume (Year): 6 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Note: ORDER INFORMATION. Dr. Mariliza V. Ticsay, SEARCA, College, 4031 Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines. E-mail:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: College 4031, Laguna, Philippines
Phone: (63-49) 536-2365
Fax: (63-49) 536-7097
Web page: http://www.searca.org/
More information through EDIRC
land tenure contract; sharecropping; fixed rental; mortgage; technical efficiency;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evenson, Robert E. & Kimhi, Ayal & Desilva, Sanjaya, 2000.
"Supervision And Transaction Costs: Evidence From Rice Farms In Bicol, The Philippines,"
2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL
21788, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Evenson, R.E. & Kimhi, A. & DeSilva, S., 2000. "Supervision and Transaction Costs: Evidence from Rice Farms in Bicol, the Philippines," Papers 814, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1973.
"Incentives and Risk-Sharing in Sharecropping,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
353, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Eswaran, Mukesh & Kotwal, Ashok, 1985. "A Theory of Contractual Structure in Agriculture," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 352-67, June.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Hudson Darren & Lusk Jayson, 2004. "Risk and Transactions Cost in Contracting: Results from a Choice-Based Experiment," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Allen, Douglas W & Lueck, Dean, 1995. "Risk Preferences and the Economics of Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 447-51, May.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-98, January.
- Reid, Joseph D., 1973. "Sharecropping As An Understandable Market Response: The Post-Bellum South," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(01), pages 106-130, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudia Svetlana Z. Cabrera).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.