Asset Ownership and Egalitarian Decision Making in Dual-headed Households in Ecuador
AbstractMost studies of household decision making focus on the factors associated with womenâ€™s ability to make decisions autonomously. This paper is concerned with egalitarian decision making, defined as where both men and women consider that they themselves make decisions jointly, and where they agree that their spouses participate in decisions in a similar fashion. We offer evidence that in Ecuador womenâ€™s command over resources is associated with egalitarian decision making among couples. Womenâ€™s share of couplesâ€™ wealth is positively and significantly associated with the likelihood of joint decision making regarding their decision to work and to spend income.JEL classification: J16; D13; D31; 054
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Union for Radical Political Economics in its journal Review of Radical Political Economics.
Volume (Year): 44 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.urpe.org/
intra-household decision making; household wealth; womenâ€™s asset ownership;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
- D13 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Production and Intrahouse Allocation
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- GRABKA Markus & MARCUS Jan & SIERMINSKA Eva, 2013.
"Wealth distribution within couples and financial decision making,"
CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series
- Markus M. Grabka & Jan Marcus & Eva Sierminska, 2013. "Wealth Distribution within Couples and Financial Decision Making," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 540, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Wiig, Henrik, 2013. "Joint Titling in Rural Peru: Impact on Women’s Participation in Household Decision-Making," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 104-119.
- Menon, Nidhiya & van der Meulen Rodgers, Yana & Nguyen, Huong, 2014. "Women’s Land Rights and Children’s Human Capital in Vietnam," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 18-31.
- Doss, Cheryl & Kovarik, Chiara & Peterman, Amber & Quisumbing, Agnes R. & van den Bold, Mara, 2013. "Gender inequalities in ownership and control of land in Africa: Myths versus reality:," IFPRI discussion papers 1308, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Grabka, Markus M. & Marcus, Jan & Sierminska, Eva, 2013. "Wealth Distribution within Couples," IZA Discussion Papers 7637, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.