Foreign Direct Investment in Central Europe Since 1990: An Econometric Study
AbstractFDI has become a importance source of external finance for several transitional economies, in particular those in Central Europe.The paper analyses determinants of FDI in Central Europe by providing econometric analysis. We examine the flows of FDI into the Czech and Slovak Federal Republics (CSFR), Hungary and Poland and attempt to explain both the factors that explain why foreign investors have moved into these markets so rapidly and why Hungary and the CSFR have attracted more FDI than Poland.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Institute of Economic and Social Research in its journal National Institute Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 156 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2 Dean Trench Street, Smith Square, London SW1P 3HE
Phone: +44 (020) 7222 7665
Fax: +44 (020) 7654 1900
Web page: http://www.niesr.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Melanie Lansbury & Nigel Pain & Katerina Smidkova, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment in Central Europe Since 1990: An Econometric Study," Macroeconomics 0404002, EconWPA.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, Richard & Forslid, Rikard & Haaland, Jan I., 1995.
"Investment Creation and Investment Diversion: Simulation Analysis of the Single Market Programme,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1308, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Rikard Forslid & Jan Haaland, 1995. "Investment Creation and Investment Diversion: Simulation Analysis of theSingle Market Programme," NBER Working Papers 5364, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, R.E. & Forslid, R. & Haaland, J.I., 1995. "Investment Creation and Investment Diversion: Simulation Analysis of the Single Market Programme," Papers 23/95, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
- Ray Barrell & Nigel Pain, .
"Trade restraints and Japanese direct investment flows,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
43, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel, 1999. "Trade restraints and Japanese direct investment flows," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 29-45, January.
- Cantwell, John, 1995. "The Globalisation of Technology: What Remains of the Product Cycle Model?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 155-74, February.
- Leamer, E. & Levingsohn, J., 1994.
"International Trade Theory: The Evidence,"
368, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Gual, Jordi & Martín, Carmela, 1994. "Trade and Foreign Direct Investment with Central and Eastern Europe: Its Impact on Spain," CEPR Discussion Papers 1006, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ann Harrison & Ana Revenga, 1995. "The Effects of Trade Policy Reform: What Do We Really Know?," NBER Working Papers 5225, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Drábek, Zdenek & Smith, Alasdair, 1995. "Trade Performance and Trade Policy in Central and Eastern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1182, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
- Olga Arratibel & Davide Furceri & Reiner Martin & Aleksandra Zdzienicka, 2009.
"The Effect of Nominal Exchange Rate Volatility on Real Macroeconomic Performance in the CEE Countries,"
0934, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Arratibel, Olga & Furceri, Davide & Martin, Reiner & Zdzienicka, Aleksandra, 2011. "The effect of nominal exchange rate volatility on real macroeconomic performance in the CEE countries," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 261-277, June.
- Olga Arratibel & Davide Furceri & Reiner Martin & Aleksandra Zdzienicka-Durand, 2011. "The Effect of Nominal Exchange Rate Volatility on Real Macroeconomic Performance in the CEE Countries," Post-Print halshs-00456606, HAL.
- Antonakakis, Nikolaos & Tondl, Gabriele, 2012.
"Do determinants of FDI to developing countries differ among OECD investors? Insights from Bayesian model averaging,"
1/12, Europa-Kolleg Hamburg, Institute for European Integration.
- Nikolaos Antonakakis & Gabriele Tondl, 2011. "Do determinants of FDI to developing countries differ among OECD investors? Insights from Bayesian Model Averaging," FIW Working Paper series 076, FIW.
- Arratibel, Olga & Furceri, Davide & Martin, Reiner, 2008. "Real convergence in Central and Eastern European EU Member States: which role for exchange rate volatility?," Working Paper Series 0929, European Central Bank.
- Bellak, Christian & Leibrecht, Markus & Riedl, Aleksandra, 2008. "Labour costs and FDI flows into Central and Eastern European Countries: A survey of the literature and empirical evidence," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 17-37, March.
- Agnieszka Chidlow & Stephen Young, 2008. "Regional Determinants of FDI Distribution in Poland," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp943, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Juan Piñeiro Chousa, & Krishna Chaitanya, & Bitzenis P. Aristidis & Artur Tamazian, 2008. "Determinants Of Barries To Quality Of Direct Foreign Investments – Evidences From South & East Asian Economies," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp910, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Malgorzata Jakubiak & Alina Kudina, 2008. "The Motives and Impediments to FDI in the CIS," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0370, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Bevan, Alan & Estrin, Saul & Meyer, Klaus, 2004. "Foreign investment location and institutional development in transition economies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 43-64, February.
- Kai Carstensen & Farid Toubal, 2003.
"Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern European Countries: A Dynamic Panel Analysis,"
Kiel Working Papers
1143, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: a dynamic panel analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 3-22, March.
- Chidlow, Agnieszka & Salciuviene, Laura & Young, Stephen, 2009. "Regional determinants of inward FDI distribution in Poland," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 119-133, April.
- Marian Dinga, 2011. "The Role of Investment Incentives in Regional FDI Reallocation: A Regression-Discontinuity Approach," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp438, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Ainura Uzagalieva & Evžen Kočenda & Antonio Menezes, 2012. "Technological Innovation in New European Union Markets," Working Papers 312, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Katerina SmÃdkovÃ¡ & Ales Bulir, 2005.
"Exchange Rates in the New EU Accession Countries: What Have We Learned from the Forerunners?,"
IMF Working Papers
05/27, International Monetary Fund.
- Bulir, Ales & Smidkova, Katerina, 2005. "Exchange rates in the new EU accession countries: What have we learned from the forerunners?," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 163-186, June.
- Ales Bulir & Katerina Smidkova, 2004. "Exchange Rates in the New EU Accession Countries: What Have We Learned from the Forerunners," Working Papers 2004/10, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Arazmuradov, Annageldy, 2011.
"Foreign aid, foreign direct investment and domestic investment nexus in landlocked economies of Central Asia,"
36881, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Feb 2012.
- Annageldy Arazmuradov, 2012. "Foreign Aid, Foreign Direct Investment, and Domestic Investment Nexus in Landlocked Economies of Central Asia," Economic Research Guardian, Weissberg Publishing, vol. 2(1), pages 129-151, May.
- Kateřina Šmídková & Aleš Bulíř, 2005. "Would Fast Sailing Towards the Euro Be Smooth? What Fundamental Real Exchange Rates Tell Us," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2005(4), pages 291-316.
- Bitzenis, Aristidis & Tsitouras, Antonis & Vlachos, Vasileios A., 2009. "Decisive FDI obstacles as an explanatory reason for limited FDI inflows in an EMU member state: The case of Greece," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 691-704, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.