Assessing the Regional Economic Development Impacts of Universities: A Review of Current Approaches
AbstractResearch universities in the United States have increasingly become involved in economic development since the mid-1980s. There has been a corresponding growth of interest in measuring the impacts of higher education on regional economies. This article reviews the approaches used to examine the influence of research universities on regional economic development outcomes. Considerable attention is paid to the methodological advantages and shortcomings of four major research designs evidenced in the literature: single-university impact studies, surveys, knowledge production functions, and cross-sectional and quasiexperimental designs. University activities, particularly knowledge-based activities such as teaching and basic research, have been found to have substantial positive effects on a variety of measures of regional economic progress.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by in its journal International Regional Science Review.
Volume (Year): 30 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nada Karaman Aksentijevic & Zoran Jezic, 2009. "Human Resources development and research capacity and their impact on economic growth," Zbornik radova Ekonomskog fakulteta u Rijeci/Proceedings of Rijeka Faculty of Economics, University of Rijeka, Faculty of Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 263-291.
- Hülsbeck, Marcel & Lehmann, Erik E., 2010. "The role of regional knowledge production in university technology transfer: Isolating coevolutionary effects," UO Working Papers 01-10, University of Augsburg, Chair of Management and Organization.
- David Audretsch & Marcel Hülsbeck & Erik Lehmann, 2012.
"Regional competitiveness, university spillovers, and entrepreneurial activity,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 587-601, October.
- Audretsch, David B. & Hülsbeck, Marcel & Lehmann, Erik E., 2010. "Regional competitiveness, university spillovers and entrepreneurial activity," UO Working Papers 02-10, University of Augsburg, Chair of Management and Organization.
- Winters, John V., 2011.
"Human capital, higher education institutions, and quality of life,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 446-454, September.
- Winters, John V, 2011. "Human Capital, Higher Education Institutions, and Quality of Life," MPRA Paper 28484, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Winters, John V, 2010. "Human Capital and Population Growth in Non-Metropolitan U.S. Counties: The Importance of College Student Migration," MPRA Paper 25592, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rego, Conceição & Caleiro, António & Vieira, Carlos & Vieira, Isabel & Baltazar, Maria da Saudade, 2013.
"Eficiência e/ou coesão territorial: de que modo uma rede de Instituições de Ensino Superior pode contribuir para estes objectivos?
[Efficiency and/or territorial cohesion: how can a network of ," MPRA Paper 43638, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jose M. Pastor & Juan Fernández de Guevara & Francisco Pérez, 2010. "Measuring the local economic impact of universities: an approach that considers uncertainty," Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación volume 5, in: María Jesús Mancebón-Torrubia & Domingo P. Ximénez-de-Embún & José María Gómez-Sancho & Greg (ed.), Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación 5, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 54, pages 1061-1090 Asociación de Economía de la Educación.
- Lawson, Cornelia, 2014.
"Putting the Region first: Knowledge Transfer at Universities in Greater Manchester,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio
201403, University of Turin.
- Lawson, Cornelia, 2014. "Putting the Region first: Knowledge Transfer at Universities in Greater Manchester," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201410, University of Turin.
- Conceição Rego & António Caleiro, 2010.
"O ?Mercado? do Ensino Superior em Portugal: um diagnóstico da situação actual,"
Economics Working Papers
4_2010, University of Évora, Department of Economics (Portugal).
- Rego, Conceição & Caleiro, António, 2010.
"O ‘Mercado’ do Ensino Superior em Portugal: um diagnóstico da situação actual
[The Higher Education 'Market' in Portugal: a diagnosis of current situation]," MPRA Paper 23331, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rego, Conceição & Caleiro, António, 2010. "O ‘Mercado’ do Ensino Superior em Portugal: um diagnóstico da situação actual
- Roessner, David & Bond, Jennifer & Okubo, Sumiye & Planting, Mark, 2013. "The economic impact of licensed commercialized inventions originating in university research," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 23-34.
- Friedrich Dornbusch & Thomas Brenner, 2013. "Universities as local knowledge hubs under different technology regimes â€“ New evidence from academic patenting," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2013-10, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- John V. Winters, 2011. "Why Are Smart Cities Growing? Who Moves And Who Stays," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 253-270, 05.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.