Determinant Agents Analysis of Dividend Policies Practiced by Companies Listed in Great Britain and France
AbstractDividend policy is one of the most intriguing topics in financial research. Even now, economists provide considerable attention and thought to solving the dividend puzzle, resulting a large number of conflicting hypotheses, theories and explanations. This paper aims to determine the dividend policies for 209 listed on London Stock Exchange and Paris Stock Exchange in 2010 and to explain their dividend payment behavior. So this paper investigates why companies in different countries have established different dividend policies using firm level data from U.K. and France. The models considered the impact of firm profitability, return on assets, firm size, previous year's dividend, free cash-flow, total shareholder return, corporate tax, dividend yield and ownership structure on dividend payout ratios.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Romanian Statistical Review in its journal Romanian Statistical Review Supplement.
Volume (Year): 60 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 16 Libertatii Avenue, Sector 5, Bucureşti, Code 70542
Phone: 004 021 336 2691
Fax: 004 021 3124873
Web page: http://www.revistadestatistica.ro
More information through EDIRC
policy; corporate governance; determinants; agency theory; ownership;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 2000.
"Agency Problems and Dividend Policies around the World,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 1-33, 02.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998. "Agency Problems and Dividend Policies Around the World," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1839, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1998. "Agency Problems and Dividend Policies Around the World," NBER Working Papers 6594, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1997.
" A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 737-83, June.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," NBER Working Papers 5554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Easterbrook, Frank H, 1984. "Two Agency-Cost Explanations of Dividends," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 650-59, September.
- Adaoglu, Cahit, 2000. "Instability in the dividend policy of the Istanbul Stock Exchange (ISE) corporations: evidence from an emerging market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 252-270, November.
- Alli, Kasim L & Khan, A Qayyum & Ramirez, Gabriel G, 1993. "Determinants of Corporate Dividend Policy: A Factorial Analysis," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 28(4), pages 523-47, November.
- Mohammed Amidu & Joshua Abor, 2006. "Determinants of dividend payout ratios in Ghana," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(2), pages 136-145, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adrian Visoiu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.