The Productive Efficiency of the Health Care Sector of China
AbstractBased on four years of province-level health care data, this paper analyzes the productive efficiency of China's health care sector in the post reform period. Data envelopment analysis is used to compute efficiency measures, which indicate that there was still room for improvement in the technical efficiency of the health care sector in China between 2002 and 2005. This is particularly the case in the coastal provinces. According to the computed Malmquist index and its decomposition components, China's health care sector suffers from productivity decline, especially for the coastal provinces. Nevertheless, there has been technological improvement across all provinces.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Regional Science Association in its journal Review of Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 38 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.srsa.org
Health; Health Care;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- P25 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Urban, Rural, and Regional Economics
- P36 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Consumer Economics; Health; Education and Training; Welfare, Income, Wealth, and Poverty
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Seijas Díaz , Amparo & Iglesias Gómez , Guillermo, 2013. "Evolution of productivity and relation with satisfaction in hospital care and specialized care of Autonomous Communities Health Systems," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 27, pages 7-32.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark L. Burkey).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.