Spatial Modeling of the Migration of Older People with a Focus on Amenities
AbstractUsing U.S. county-level migration data from the 2000 Census, we examine patterns of migration of older people. This study makes three contributions to the literature. First we focus attention on differences in migration patterns of older people by separately modeling four age classifications. Second, using Geographically Weighted Regression (GWR), we look for and find significant spatial variation in the determinants of migration of older people. Third, because many older migrants relocate purely for quality of life, we examine the role of amenities, both natural and built, in explaining migration patterns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Regional Science Association in its journal Review of Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 37 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.srsa.org
Census; Migrant; Migration; Quality; Quality of Life; Spatial;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - General Welfare
- J11 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Demographic Trends, Macroeconomic Effects, and Forecasts
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Steven C. Deller & Melissa A. Deller, 2010. "Rural Crime and Social Capital," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 41(2), pages 221-275.
- Elena G. Irwin & Andrew M. Isserman & Maureen Kilkenny & Mark D. Partridge, 2010. "A Century of Research on Rural Development and Regional Issues," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(2), pages 522-553.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark L. Burkey).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.