Regional Unemployment Clusters: Neighborhood and State Effects in Europe and North America
AbstractRecent nonparametric studies find that the regional distribution of unemployment rates is more dependent on geographic location (neighborhood effects) than on national factors (state effects). These results, however, do not control for stochastic dependency between neighborhood and state effects (joint effects) and do not provide any measure of their relative size. In this paper, we construct a simple measure that is invariant in space and across time and compare state, neighborhood, and joint effects in Europe and North America. We find that neighborhood effects are stronger than state effects in Europe, whereas in North America the size of the joint effect is such that one cannot say which effects prevail.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Regional Science Association in its journal Review of Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 37 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.srsa.org
Regional; Unemployment; Unemployment Rate;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Josef C Brada & Marcello Signorelli, 2012. "Comparing Labor Market Performance: Some Stylized Facts and Key Findings," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 54(2), pages 231-250, June.
- Enrico Marelli & Roberto Patuelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2012.
"Regional unemployment in the EU before and after the global crisis,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 155-175, January.
- Enrico Marelli & Roberto Patuelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2011. "Regional Unemployment in the EU before and after the Global Crisis," Working Paper Series 39_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2012.
- E. Marelli & R. Patuelli & M. Signorelli, 2011. "Regional Unemployment in the EU before and after the Global Crisis," Working Papers wp791, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark L. Burkey).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.