R&D Investments and the Spatial Dimension: Evidence from Firm Level Data
AbstractThis paper proposes to investigate the effect of spillovers on firms' R&D investment decisions. We develop an analysis merging the geographer's toolbox with standard econometric techniques. For a chosen sample of sectors, we test the existence of positive spatial autocorrelation at the level of R&D investments. We provide results on how far the local environment may influence the firms' investment decisions, hence to what extent localization economies matter for agglomeration. Data confirm that the proximity to other firms investing in R&D may produce positive externalities. Finally, the diversity versus specialization debate is tackled.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Regional Science Association in its journal Review of Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 35 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.srsa.org
Firm Level; Firm; Investment; R&D; Spatial;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- R32 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Other Spatial Production and Pricing Analysis
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alessandra Cassar & Rosella Nicolini, 2008. "Spillovers and growth in a local interaction model," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 291-306, June.
- Reinhold Kosfeld, 2012.
"Identifying Clusters within R&D Intensive Industries Using Local Spatial Methods,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa12p232, European Regional Science Association.
- Reinhold Kosfeld & Jorgen Lauridsen, 2012. "Identifying Clusters within R&D Intensive Industries Using Local Spatial Methods," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201214, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark L. Burkey).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.