Regional Productivity Differentials in Three New Member Countries: What Can We Learn from the 1986 Enlargement to the South?
AbstractThe recent enlargement of the European Union (EU) will lead to unprecedented reforms of regional policies. We examine the regional distribution of gross value added, employment, and productivity for the Polish, Hungarian, and Czech regions, and compare them to the EU-15 average for the 1990-2000 period. We study their per capita incomes relative to the EU average and how these gaps are related to differences in productivity per worker. Finally, we use Esteban's (2000) shift-share analysis to explore the extent to which regional productivity gaps are due to differences in industrial mix as opposed to region-specific factors. The results are compared to figures for the Spanish and Portuguese regions a decade before their entrance to the EU.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Regional Science Association in its journal Review of Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 35 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.srsa.org
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P25 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Urban, Rural, and Regional Economics
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bruno Bracalente & Cristiano Perugini, 2010.
"The components of regional disparities in Europe,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 621-645, June.
- Bruno Bracalente & Cristiano Perugini, 2008. "The Components of Regional Disparities in Europe," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 47/2008, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Julie Le Gallo & Yiannis Kamarianakis, 2011. "The Evolution of Regional Productivity Disparities in the European Union from 1975 to 2002: A Combination of Shift-Share and Spatial Econometrics," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(1), pages 123-139.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark L. Burkey).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.