Some Economics of Banking Reform
AbstractWhere do we stand, five years on from the start of the crisis, on progress towards banking reform? Following a stock-take of current reform initiatives, the paper reviews some economics of public policy towards banks, in particular capital requirements and the role of structural regulation in making banking systems safer. Forms of separation between retail and investment banking are compared, notably ring-fencing and complete separation. The paper concludes with reflections on the wider European policy debate following the Liikanen Report. A central theme is that banking reform needs a welldesigned combination of policies towards loss-absorbency and structural reform
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal Rivista di Politica Economica.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (October-December)
Contact details of provider:
banking; bail-outs; capital requirements; deposit guarantees; Glass-Steagall; resolution; ring-fencing; structural reform; Volcker rule;
Other versions of this item:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Leonardo Gambacorta & Adrian Van Rixtel, 2013.
"Structural bank regulation initiatives: approaches and implications,"
BIS Working Papers
412, Bank for International Settlements.
- Leonardo Gambacorta & Adrian van Rixtel, 2013. "Structural bank regulation initiatives: approaches and implications," BANCARIA, Bancaria Editrice, vol. 6, pages 14-27, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.