Offshoring and the Skill Composition of Employment in the Italian Manufacturing Industries
AbstractIn this paper, we assess the extent of offshoring in the Italian manufacturing industries, and we study how this phenomenon is affecting the skill composition of employment. Measuring offshoring using the import-use matrices of input-output tables, firstly we estimate the impact of offshoring on the general level of employment, and we don’t find any significant relationship. Then, we examine the relationship between offshoring and employment composition by skills. Results show that the use of offshoring is not restricted to the search for cheaper unskilled labor, and its impact on the composition of employment seems to be quite different among industry groups.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal Rivista di Politica Economica.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January-March)
Contact details of provider:
international fragmentation of production; international trade; labor demand;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.