AbstractCauses and consequences of the current "subprime" financial crisis are analysed. The large number of fraudulent and criminal mortgages obtained by means of false statements unverified by the mortgagees, explains why this crisis was not predicted. The crisis was enhanced by unwise regulations like Marking-to-market of untraded assets and "Basel" capital requirements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal Rivista di Politica Economica.
Volume (Year): 98 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January-February)
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillaume Plantin & Haresh Sapra & Hyun Shin, .
"Marking to Market: Panacea or Pandora’s Box ?,"
GSIA Working Papers
2005-E4, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Con Keating & Hyun Song Shin & Charles Goodhart & Jon Danielsson, 2001. "An Academic Response to Basel II," FMG Special Papers sp130, Financial Markets Group.
- Mitchell, Donald, 2008. "A note on rising food prices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4682, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.