Rischi dell'integrazione commerciale cinese per il modello di specializzazione internazionale dell'Italia
AbstractThe increasing outward orientation of the Chinese economy — specialized in the same sectors included in the "Made in Italy" — has raised worries on the future of Italy's international specialization. This paper analyses OECD imports from Italy, France, Spain and China and shows that the Chinese specialization pattern is indeed similar to the Italian one at a sectoral level, but for several products there is no real competitive pressure from Chinese goods, Italian goods being qualitatively better than the Chinese. However, between 1991 and 2002 not only did competitive pressures rise, but also the percentage of trade flows where Italian goods are of a higher quality level decreased, with the exception of some traditional sectors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal Rivista di Politica Economica.
Volume (Year): 95 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (July-August)
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Marco Sanfilippo & Margherita Velucchi, 2011. "The “China effect” on EU Exports to OECD markets – A focus on Italy," Working Papers - Economics wp2011_17.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Giorgia Giovannetti, Marco Sanfilippo and Margherita Velucchi, 2012. "The impact of China on manufacturing exports of Italy and Germany," RSCAS Working Papers 2012/26, European University Institute.
- Alessia Amighini, 2005.
"China in the international fragmentation of production: Evidence from the ICT industry,"
European Journal of Comparative Economics,
Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 2(2), pages 203-219, December.
- Alessia Amighini, 2004. "China in the international fragmentation of production: Evidence from the ICT industry," KITeS Working Papers 151, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jan 2004.
- Pierluigi Montalbano & Silvia Nenci, 2011. "Are the Emerging Economies a Threat to the Italian Competitiveness?," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 4, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.