Inside the Blackbox: Economic Performance and Technology Adoption when Space and Product Relationships Matter
AbstractWe highlight the relevance of studying the performance of productive units by considering space and product relationships. By applying the district/no district and independent/subcontractee status taxonomy, we find that district independent firms have higher value added and are more efficient than non district independent firms, but that ICT investment improves efficiency only for the latter. Our findings suggest that: (i) the quality of space relationships (district location) positively affects unmeasured forms of human and social capital; (ii) ICT adoption has a stronger impact on non district independent firms as the improvement of electronic links is more beneficial for productive units with poorer space relationships.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal Rivista di Politica Economica.
Volume (Year): 95 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (January-February)
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Auci, Sabrina & Castelli, Annalisa, 2011. "Pollution and economic growth: a maximum likelihood estimation of environmental Kuznets curve," MPRA Paper 53441, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Valter Di Giacinto & Matteo Gomellini & Giacinto Micucci & Marcello Pagnini, 2012.
"Mapping local productivity advantages in Italy: industrial districts, cities or both?,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
850, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Marcello Pagnini & Valter Di Giacinto & Giacinto Micucci & Matteo Gomellini, 2011. "Mapping Local Productivity Advantages In Italy: Industrial Districts, Cities Or Both?," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1806, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.