BVARs: A Survey of the Recent Literature with an Application to the European Monetary System
AbstractThis paper reviews recent advances in the specification and estimation of Bayesian Vector Autoregressive models (BVARs). After describing the general principle of Bayesian estimation applied to a VAR, we first present the methodology originally developed by Litterman (1986) and Doan et Al. (1984) and review alternative prior distributions. We then present several extensions of the basic model and discuss some issues in forecasting and structural analysis. An application to the estimation of a system of time-varying reaction functions for four European central banks under the European Monetary System (EMS) illustrates how results previously presented may be applied in practice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal Rivista di Politica Economica.
Volume (Year): 93 (2003)
Issue (Month): 5 (September-October)
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Matteo Ciccarelli & Carlo Altavilla, 2007.
"Inflation Forecasts, Monetary Policy and Unemployment Dynamics: Evidence from the US and the Euro area,"
2007 Meeting Papers
315, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Carlo Altavilla & Matteo Ciccarelli, 2006. "Inflation Forecasts, Monetary Policy and Unemployment Dynamics: Evidence from the US and the Euro Area," Discussion Papers 7_2006, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Altavilla, Carlo & Ciccarelli, Matteo, 2007. "Inflation Forecasts, monetary policy and unemployment dynamics: evidence from the US and the euro area," Working Paper Series 0725, European Central Bank.
- Altavilla, Carlo & Ciccarelli, Matteo, 2010. "Evaluating the effect of monetary policy on unemployment with alternative inflation forecasts," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 237-253, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.