The Eastward Enlargement of the European Union and the Common Agricultural Policy: the Direct Payments Issue
AbstractThis paper traces the main features of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP), and of the transition process in the agricultural sectors of Central and Eastern European countries. We argue that currently the main challenge is to extend the CAP to the new members without upsetting the net contributors to the EU budget, and we analyse the effects of different schemes that would allow some cost sharing between EU and national budgets. The main conclusion is that the CAP for an enlarged Union should be based on decentralization of expenditures and a system of subsidies and transfers among countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal Rivista di Politica Economica.
Volume (Year): 92 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (January-February)
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E61 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Policy Objectives; Policy Designs and Consistency; Policy Coordination
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- P27 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Performance and Prospects
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Federico Etro, 2004. "The Political Economy of Fiscal and Monetary Unions," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 63(3-4), pages 289-328, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.