A Cross-Cultural View of Strategic Competency: The Perspective of SME Entrepreneurs
AbstractThe present study attempts to understand the prevalence of strategic competency among entrepreneurs in small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) in Australia and Malaysia. A sample of 20 SME entrepreneurs from Australia and Malaysia participated in this study. A series of interviews were conducted to probe into the behaviours that delineate strategic competency among these entrepreneurs. The results showed that SME entrepreneurs in both countries highlighted the importance of strategic competency in managing and running their ventures despite some minor variations in terms of the practices across country. This study provides entrepreneurs with knowledge about the way they should operate their business and encourages them to be conscious of the importance of strategic competency in managing their business and increasing the odds of success. The study also shows that entrepreneurs are capable of minimising the negative impact of business environment if they are willing to equip themselves with strategic competency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Faculty of Management, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania in its journal ECONOMIA seria MANAGEMENT / ECONOMY - MANAGEMENT series.
Volume (Year): 15 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Entrepreneurs; Culture; Strategic; Malaysia; Australia.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- M14 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Corporate Culture; Social Responsibility
- M19 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Other
- N35 - Economic History - - Labor and Consumers, Demography, Education, Health, Welfare, Income, Wealth, Religion, and Philanthropy - - - Asia including Middle East
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Man, Thomas W. Y. & Lau, Theresa & Chan, K. F., 2002. "The competitiveness of small and medium enterprises: A conceptualization with focus on entrepreneurial competencies," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 123-142, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ciocoiu Nadia Carmen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.